|[ t h ]
|[ θ ]
|From the ancient world
|From the modern
1 More used in the literal area
- In physics
- the small theta θ is the symbol for the Celsius temperature , whereby the second variant of the small theta ϑ is often used here;
- the small theta θ is the symbol for the twist angle ;
- the big theta Θ is the symbol for the magnetic flow as well as for the moment of inertia ;
- the great theta Θ is the dimensional symbol for temperature ;
- the large theta Θ is the symbol for the contact angle at phase boundaries.
- In astronomy
- the great theta Θ is the sign for the sidereal time - just like in geodesy ;
- the small theta ϑ is usually the seventh to ninth brightest star in the respective constellation ;
- Theta serves as a more detailed description of two meteor streams ( Theta Centaurids and Theta Ophiuchids ) in order to describe the position of the radiant in these large constellations more precisely.
- In math
- the small theta θ is the coordinate of the polar angle for spherical coordinates ;
- the small theta θ is the symbol for the angle of a surface;
- the great theta Θ is one of the Landau symbols ;
- some functions are called theta function ;
- the small theta θ is the designation for an unknown parameter of a probability distribution , the large theta Θ for the parameter space.
- In financial mathematics
- In the International Phonetic Alphabet
- In neurology / neuropsychology
- the small theta θ denotes a certain frequency in the electroencephalogram (EEG).
- In economics
- The small theta θ denotes the reserve ratio that a financial institution has to hold due to legal requirements.
- In population genetics
- the small theta θ denotes the genetic differentiation between populations (analogous to Wright's F ST ).
- Thales of Miletus ( Θαλῆς )