|publishing company||Time USA, LLC ( United States )|
|Headquarters||New York City|
|First edition||March 3, 1923|
Henry Luce &
|Frequency of publication||weekly|
|Sold edition||3,028,013 copies|
|( As of June 30, 2017 )|
|Article archive||1923 ff.|
Time ( English for time ; its own name mostly in capital letters: TIME ) is a weekly American news magazine , often called Time magazine for the sake of clarity . It belongs to the entrepreneur Marc Benioff .
Time appears in four editions with a total circulation of around 5.2 million copies.
Time was founded in 1923 by Henry Luce and Briton Hadden in New York , the first issue appeared on March 3 of the same year. Time soon took on an important role in the American press landscape and in the following decades became a role model for this form of reporting. B. Der Spiegel in Germany followed up. The magazine became famous for its cover pictures, some of which - such as the portrayal of Winston Churchill as a bulldog - are an integral part of pop iconography .
The most famous feature of Time is probably the annual election (since 1927) of the Man of the Year (now renamed Person of the Year ). In 1999 Albert Einstein was named Man of the Century and Johannes Gutenberg named Man of the Millennium . For Music Album of the Century was Exodus of Bob Marley & The Wailers selected. Very special in this series were 1982, when the personal computer was voted Person of the Year, and 2006, when “You” (the community of Internet users) was voted Person of the Year.
In 1989 the publishing house merged with Warner Communications to form the Time Warner media group . After another merger with America Online ( AOL ), the group was temporarily called AOL Time Warner (2000-2003). In 2014 TimeWarner spun off the print division as Time Inc. , with which it was originally merged. This company was in turn taken over by Meredith Corporation in January 2018 .
Richard Stengel was the chief editor of Time from 2006 to 2013, Nancy Gibbs followed him until 2017. Edward Felsenthal has been the chief editor of Time since September 2017 , who was previously responsible for its digital strategy.
In the US market, Time is the market leader among news magazines, ahead of Newsweek and US News & World Report . Politically, Time stands between the more left-wing liberal Newsweek and the conservative US News & World Report .
The magazine tries to keep its distance from the two big parties. Time emphasizes that the Person of the Year election is by no means intended to express political sympathy. So be time not conservative, just because George W. Bush in 2004 Person of the Year was.
Time is currently being published in four editions. In addition to the American edition, the Time Europe branch (formerly called Time Atlantic ) appears in London with a circulation of 555,000 copies in 2005, which is designed for Europe, Africa, the Middle East and, since 2003, Latin America. Time Asia is based in Hong Kong and has a circulation of 275,000 copies. The Time South Pacific has also been available since July 2011 .
- The magazine website (English)
- Archive of issues from 1923 to 2014
- Comparison of time covers of the four partial editions
- "Read the riot act to the British": Interview with Leo Brawand about the beginnings of the mirror . In: Der Spiegel . No. 2 , 2007, p. 92 ( online ).
- Erik Maza: Nancy Gibbs Named Time's Managing Editor. In: WWD . September 17, 2013, accessed March 13, 2020 .
- Charlotte Alter: Edward Felsenthal Chosen To Lead TIME As New Editor. In: time.com. September 14, 2017, accessed on March 13, 2020 .
- IT billionaire buys “Time” magazine. In: orf.at . September 17, 2018, accessed March 13, 2020 .
- Time Europe Media Planner: EMEA Circulation. In: time.com. Archived from the original on July 19, 2013 ; accessed on March 13, 2020 (English).
- TIME Magazine - South Pacific Edition - July 4, 2011 No. 1. In: time.com. Retrieved March 13, 2020 (covers of the four issues of July 4, 2011).