Live and act
Apostol was the son of Greek immigrants to the USA (originally called Apostolopoulos). He first studied chemical engineering at the University of Washington in Seattle ( Bachelor 1944), but then switched to mathematics, completed his master’s degree in Seattle in 1946 and received his doctorate in 1948 from the University of California, Berkeley under Derrick Henry Lehmer ( A study of Dedekind sums and their generalizations ). Since 1950 (after positions in Berkeley and at MIT in 1949 as Moore Instructor ) he was at Caltech , where he had been a professor since the mid-1950s and retired in 1992. He was later professor emeritus there.
In addition to his work on analytical number theory, he dealt with mathematics didactics, was the author of several well-known textbooks on analysis and linear algebra in the USA and headed the "Project Mathematics!" For his work with Mamikon Mnatsakanian (an Armenian astrophysicist) on the visualization of analysis, both received the 2008 Lester Ford Prize . He was also involved in the introductory video lecture series on physics "The Mechanical Universe" and related textbooks.
Since 2001 he has been a member of the Greek Academy of Sciences in Athens . In 1962 he gave a lecture at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Stockholm (Bohr's equivalence relation for Dirichlet Series) . He was a fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
- Modular Functions and Dirichlet Series in Number Theory , Springer Verlag, 1976, 2nd edition, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 1990, ISBN 0-387-90185-X
- Introduction to Analytic Number Theory , Springer-Verlag, 1976, 5th edition, Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics, 1998, ISBN 0-387-90163-9
- Mathematical Analysis: A modern approach to advanced calculus , Addison-Wesley 1957, 1974, ISBN 0-201-00288-4
- Calculus, One-Variable Calculus with an Introduction to Linear Algebra , 2 volumes, Blasidell, 1961, 2nd edition 1967
- Linear algebra. A first course. With applications to differential equations , Wiley 1997
- with Richard Olenick, David L. Goodstein: The Mechanical Universe: Mechanics and Heat, Advanced Edition , Cambridge University Press 2007, ISBN 0-521-30432-6 (first 1985)
- with Olenick, Goodstein: Beyond the mechanical universe: from electricity to modern physics , Cambridge University Press 2007
- The Tunnel of Samos, Engineering & Science, Vol.LXVII, No. 1, 2004 (PDF) (975 kB)
- Interview with Donald Albers in The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 250-270
- Donald J. Albers, Gerald L. Alexanderson Fascinating Mathematical People: Interviews and Memoirs , Princeton University Press 2011
- Tom M. Apostol, 1923–2016 ( Memento of the original dated May 11, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tom Apostol in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Apostol, Tom Mike (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1923|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Helper , Utah|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 8, 2016|