Ulrich Johannes Schneider
Ulrich Johannes Schneider (born May 4, 1956 in Gelnhausen ) is a German librarian and historian of philosophy . Since 2006 he has been director of the Leipzig University Library and an adjunct professor of philosophy at the Institute for Cultural Studies at Leipzig University .
Schneider, who grew up in Frankfurt am Main , studied at the Technical University of Berlin philosophy , reaching in 1980 the Master of Arts . Between 1983 and 1988 he was a research assistant at the philosophical institute of the TU. In 1988 he received his doctorate and received a six-month research grant from the Fritz Thyssen Foundation for London . From 1988 to 1989 he was a member of the Getty Research Institute in Santa Monica , 1989–1991 postdoctoral fellow of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft , 1989–1995 director of the program at the Collège International de Philosophie in Paris . This employment was complemented by a one-year DAAD research grant from 1991 at the Parisian Maison des Sciences de l'Homme . From 1992 to 1998 he was a research assistant at the Institute for Philosophy at the University of Leipzig , where he completed his habilitation in 1998. From 1998 to 2005 he was head of the research projects and research planning department at the Herzog August Library in Wolfenbüttel . Since 2004 he has been an adjunct professor of philosophy at the University of Leipzig and since 2006 at the Institute for Cultural Studies. In November 2005 he became director of the France Center at Leipzig University and has been director of Leipzig University Library since January 2006 .
From 2004 to 2007 Schneider headed the DFG research project "Subject indexing of Johann Heinrich Zedler's Universal Lexicon ". From 2007 to 2009 he headed the DFG project " Lecture directories as sources of disciplinary organized science".
Since 2004 Schneider has been co-editor with Riccardo Pozzo from Verona of the series "Research and Materials on University History ", since 2002 chairman of the German Society for French-speaking Philosophy (DGFP) (re-elected in 2005). He is also a founding member (1994) of the International Society for Intellectual History .
Especially through exhibitions, articles in newspapers and as a moderator of the Thomasius Club , Schneider endeavors to communicate science to the public.
In addition to the history, especially the cultural history of philosophy, Schneider deals with the history of universities in the Age of Enlightenment . He also deals with 20th century French philosophy and library history .
- Library building as a machine in Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , July 7, 2018
- The invention of general knowledge. Encyclopedic Writing in the Age of Enlightenment . Akademie Verlag, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-05-005780-4 .
- The knowledge of the world: Germany needs a public digital library , in: Süddeutsche Zeitung, March 2, 2010, page 11.
- The Past of Mind: An Archeology in the History of Philosophy. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt / Main 1990, ISBN 978-3-05-005780-4 .
- Literature by and about Ulrich Johannes Schneider in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of Ulrich Johannes Schneider
- Ulrich Johannes Schneider on the homepage of the Leipzig University Library
- "Out for the printed Brockhaus: Our knowledge lives only in the mind, not on the shelf" . In: FAZ , February 15, 2008, interview
- The history of the reading room in libraries . In: Blog of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar , May 25, 2018, interview
|SURNAME||Schneider, Ulrich Johannes|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian of philosophy and librarian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 4th 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gelnhausen|