Valentin Bakfark ( Valentinus Greff Bakfark , Bálint Bakfark [ ˈbaːlint ˈbɒkfɒrk ], * around 1507 in Kronstadt / Transylvania (then Brassó / Hungary ); † August 15, 1576 in Padua ) was a Hungarian lutenist and an instrumental composer of the Renaissance .
Valentin Bakfark was instructed at the court of the later King of Hungary, Johann Zápolya . He then lived in Italy and later at the French court. From 1549 to 1566 he was the lutenist of the Polish King and Grand Duke of Lithuania Sigismund II August in Vilnius . Until 1568 he was court lutenist of the emperor in Vienna . Then he returned to his homeland in Hungary. Finally he moved to Venice, where he died of the plague on August 15, 1576 .
Bakfark was best known for his collections of lute music, which included arrangements of contemporary madrigals , chansons , motets and dances. Like his own compositions, several fantasies and a passamezzo , they are characterized by significant instrumental technique and artful polyphony at the height of its time.
- Peter Király, Vladimir Ivanoff: Bakfark . In: Ludwig Finscher (Ed.): MGG . tape 2 . Bärenreiter Verlag, 1999, Sp. 44-50 .
- Adam Adrio: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1953, ISBN 3-428-00182-6 , p. 546 f. ( ). In:
- Otto Gombosi : The lutenist Valentin Bakfark. Life and Works (1507-1576). Budapest 1935, reprint Kassel, New York, Bärenreiter 1967
- Egon Hajek: Article Valentin Greff-Bakfark in The music, your designers and heralds in Transylvania then and now , Kronstadt 1927
- István Homolya: Valentin Bakfark - A Lutenist from Transylvania , Budapest 1982
- Bálint Bakfark. In: Stanley Sadie (Ed.): The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. 20 volumes. Macmillan Publishers, London 1980, ISBN 1-56159-174-2 .
- Egon Hajek : King Lautenschläger. Life and adventure of a traveling singer from Transylvania. JF Steinkopf, Stuttgart 1940. (novel)
- Works by and about Valentin Bakfark in the catalog of the German National Library
- Sheet music and audio files by Valentin Bakfark in the International Music Score Library Project
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bakfark, Bálint|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian lutenist and composer of the Renaissance|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1507|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brașov , Transylvania|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 15, 1576|
|Place of death||Padua|