Wild cards are common in tennis , basketball , bodybuilding , golf , snooker , handball , ring tennis , motorcycling , biathlon and cycling and, more recently, in hockey ( Champions Trophy ), snowboarding and surfing events and chess .
With the help of a wildcard z. B. local young players take part in an international tournament . There are other reasons for granting a wildcard; A wildcard is a type of award, especially for young athletes.
In biathlon, good individual athletes whose national association has no starting quota can take part in the World Cup races with a wildcard. A prominent example of this is Olympic champion Michael Rösch , who was no longer nominated for the biathlon team by the German Ski Association, now started for Belgium and took part in both the World Cup races and the 2015 World Championships in Kontiolahti , Finland with a wildcard in the 2014/15 season .
In American team sports such as baseball , American football, and ice hockey, there is a wildcard rule that states that teams that have not won their division but have the best record of non-division winners will be entitled to the play-off - Play to participate. Even if the name suggests it, this is not an example of a wildcard in the original sense, as this regulation is simply part of the official qualification modalities. The corresponding teams therefore meet the official qualification rules, whereas wildcards are by definition provided for participants who do not meet such a qualification.
In the e-sports are also making use of this possibility. Teams or players who were originally unable to qualify, be it due to a lack of players or not reaching a prescribed place in preliminary or elimination tournaments, can also take part in international competitions if, for example, they still achieve better overall results despite a defeat in the qualifying matches to have.
- Wildcard , duden.de. Retrieved January 27, 2020.
- "Kamke and Stebe receive the last wildcards" , abendblatt.de
- Bundesliga thanks to wildcard. Basketball in Ludwigsburg. In: Stuttgarter-Zeitung.de. July 2, 2013, accessed August 12, 2013 .
- Wit / dpa / sid: Golf: Woods gets wildcard for Ryder Cup. In: Spiegel Online . September 7, 2010, accessed April 12, 2020 .
- Dave Hendon: China's wild cards have a raw deal in Beijing. In: theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media Ltd., March 25, 2008, accessed August 12, 2013 .
- Christian Stein: Foxes and HSV in a direct duel - EHF awards two wildcards. In: handball-world.com. IG Handball e. V., Berlin, June 21, 2013, accessed on August 12, 2013 .
- First wild cards awarded for WTF framework competitions. (No longer available online.) In: wm2010.ringtennis.de. Association for the implementation and promotion of the World Championships in Ring Tennis in Germany V., Koblenz, May 17, 2010, archived from the original on July 26, 2014 ; Retrieved August 12, 2013 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- "Watkins Glen: Hot fight for the wildcards" , motorsport-aktuell.com
- www.focus.de - Wildcard for Michael Rösch , accessed on April 11, 2015
- Team NetApp-Endura receives wildcard for Vuelta. In: zeit.de. Zeit Online GmbH, May 3, 2013, accessed on August 12, 2013 .
- Hockey men receive Champions Trophy wild cards. In: focus.de. March 22, 2013. Retrieved August 12, 2013 .
- "How MLB Playoffs Work" , baseball.about.com