Wilhelm zu Wied (1845–1907)
Wilhelm Adolph Maximilian 5th Prince zu Wied (also Wilhelm Prince zu Wied ; * August 22, 1845 in Neuwied ; † October 22, 1907 ibid) was a German nobleman , officer and politician. Among other things, he was president of the Flottenverein and the Prussian manor house .
During the German War of 1866 he was a lieutenant in the General Staff of the 2nd Army. In 1869 he was promoted to major à la suite . He took part in the Franco-Prussian War in 1870/71 (3 general staff officers at the General Command of the 11th Army Corps).
Between 1893 and 1897 he was imperial commissioner and military inspector of voluntary nursing in the army in the field. In 1893 he was appointed general of the infantry à la suite .
Politically, Wied was a supporter of colonial policy. Between 1891 and 1892 he was chairman of the German Anti-Slavery Committee. Among other things, this funded expeditions to previously unexplored areas in Africa. From 1897 he was a member of the Colonial Council . He also supported the naval policy. Wied was a co-founder and from 1898 to 1901 president of the fleet association.
Between 1875 and 1886 he was state marshal of the Rhenish provincial council . After the institution was reformed, he was chairman of the Rhenish provincial parliament from 1888 to 1894 and from 1899 to 1901. From 1878 he was a member of the Prussian manor house. He was its president from 1897 to 1903.
Origin and family
In 1871 he married Princess Marie of Orange-Nassau (1841-1910), Princess of the Netherlands. From the marriage emerged:
- Prince Friedrich zu Wied (1872–1945)
- Alexander Prince zu Wied (1874–1877)
- Wilhelm Prince zu Wied (1876–1945). In 1914 he was Prince of Albania for a short time .
- Viktor Prinz zu Wied (1877–1946), German ambassador to Sweden 1933–1943
- Princess Luise zu Wied (1880–1965)
- Elisabeth Princess zu Wied (1883–1938)
- Protocols of the Prussian State Ministry, vol. 7, p. 475 ( digital version ; PDF, 2.83 MB).
- Short biography of the Berlin State Library
- Historic 'Aluminia' yacht of the Prince of Wied (PDF, 285 kB)
- Sebastian Diziol: "Germans, become members of the fatherland!" The German Naval Association 1898–1934. Solivagus Praeteritum, Kiel 2015, ISBN 978-39817079-0-8 , pp. 50-132.
- Lutz Sauerteig: Illness, Sexuality, Society: Venereal Diseases and Health Policy in Germany in the 19th and Early 20th Century (Rowohlt's Monographs) , Steiner, Franz; Edition: 1 (June 1, 1999), p. 522.
- Wilhelm Adolph Maximilian Karl Fürst von Wied on thepeerage.com , accessed on September 14, 2016.
|SURNAME||Wied, Wilhelm to|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wied, Wilhelm Adolph Maximilian too|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Prince zu Wied, nobleman, officer and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 22, 1845|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Neuwied|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 22, 1907|
|Place of death||Neuwied|