He came from the Westphalian family of lawyers and scholars, Pagenstecher . In 1898 he began studying art at the Düsseldorf Art Academy with Professors Ernst and Fritz Roeber , Peter Janssen the Elder. Ä. and Wilhelm Spatz . The further training path led him to Florence in 1909 , where he spent a year in the Villa Marmagliano with Emil Frisch and Hans Deiker on a scholarship . He later visited Dresden, Paris and Munich. From 1914 he took part in the First World War as a lieutenant in the reserve and company commander of the Fusilier Regiment "Queen" (Schleswig-Holsteinisches) No. 86 . He was badly injured. He spent a captivity in Bordeaux . After the World War he began to design custom coats of arms.
Pagenstecher created numerous coats of arms for cities and municipalities, including the coat of arms of the Rhine Province, changed in 1926, and the coat of arms of North Rhine-Westphalia . His collection, which includes around 13,000 drawings of coats of arms and seals , is now in the North Rhine-Westphalia State Archives in Duisburg . Another part of his estate is in the Neuss city archive (signature D.04.P.03).
- A repair of the inventory of the cathedral in Kaiserswerth in 1789 . In: Düsseldorfer Jahrbuch 42 . Düsseldorf 1940, p. 273-275 .
- Burgrave u. Alderman seal of Kaiserswerth . With 27 seal and signature panels. In: Düsseldorfer Jahrbuch 44 . Düsseldorf 1947, p. 117-154 .
- with Otto Korn : Rheinisches Siegel- und Urkundenbuch . City of Brühl (ed.), Brühl 1952.
- On the death of Wolfgang Pagenstechers. Obituary . In: Düsseldorfer Navchachrichten , No. 301 of December 29, 1953.
- The heraldist Wolfgang Pagenstecher (stadt-ratingen.de)
- Willy Spatz's (1914–1919) diary , entry from October 31, 1914, PDF (scans) , pp. 2, 6, Düsseldorf City Archives, 0-1-23-41.0000
- Pagenstecher estate, Wolfgang , website in the State Archive of North Rhine-Westphalia , accessed on August 21, 2016
- Stadtarchiv Neuss: D.04 bequests , accessed on 14.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter and heraldist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 16, 1880|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Elberfeld|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 26, 1953|
|Place of death||Dusseldorf|