Yma Sumac (born September 10, 1922 in Peru , † November 1, 2008 in Los Angeles, California; Quechua Ima sumaq: "How beautiful"; also Imma Sumack or Ima Sumack ; real name Zoila Augusta Emperatriz Chavarri del Castillo ) was of Peruvian descent Singer. Because of her impressive voice - she spanned at least four octaves - she was also known as the "nightingale of the Andes" or "Peruvian songbird".
Live and act
Yma Sumac was able to cover a range of four octaves with her voice . This means that she could perfectly intone songs from low alto notes to high whistle register notes. As a folk singer of the Andes , she was discovered in her homeland. Sumac studied in Lima and performed live and on the radio in Peru, as well as with the dance group Compania Peruana de Arte by Moisés Vivanco, whom she married in 1942. In 1943 she recorded South American folklore in Argentina, in 1946 with a smaller ensemble, such as the Inca Taky Trio, with her husband on guitar and her cousin Cholita Rivero as contralto .
1954 Sumac had a role in the feature film The Secret of the Incas ("Secret of the Incas"), 1956 in the feature film " Storm over Persia " (OT: Omar Khayyam ). In 1992, German television shot the documentary "Hollywoods Inkaprinzessin" about Yma Sumac.
Sumac was buried in Hollywood Forever Cemetery .
Orders, honors and awards
Sumac received numerous awards for her musical work, including the Order El Sol del Perú en el grado de Comendador por el Estado Peruano (2006). On September 13, 2016, her 94th birthday was commemorated by Google with a doodle.
- Anna-Bianca Krause : Speaking of Yma Sumac . With an essay by Anna-Bianca Krause (= Apropos . Volume 11 ). New Critique, Frankfurt am Main 2000, ISBN 3-8015-0334-8 .
- Works by and about Yma Sumac in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official website (English; partly also in Spanish)
- Yma Sumac in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Yma-Sumac.com (English)
- The Voice of the Incas: Yma Sumac (2001) ( page no longer available )
- Jeff Stafford: They say I am a legend: Yma Sumac, engl.
- Biography FemBio women's biography research
- Yma Sumac- Hollywood's Inca Princess (1991)
- yma-sumac.com ( Memento of the original from March 3, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Died: Yma Sumac . In: Der Spiegel . No. 46 , 2008 ( online ).
- Rabea Weihser: Yma Súmac: The nightingale of the Andes is dead. In: Zeit Online . November 5, 2008, accessed February 7, 2018 .
- Lady with a trick throat . In: Der Spiegel . No. 5 , 1952, pp. 30-31 ( Online - Jan. 30, 1952 ).
- Yma Sumac's 94th birthday on September 13, 2016
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sumack, Imma; Sumack, Ima; Emperatriz Chavarri del Castillo, Zoila Augusta (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Peruvian-born singer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 10, 1922|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Peru|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 1, 2008|
|Place of death||Los Angeles, California|