Abba P. Lerner
Lerner's Jewish family first emigrated to London in 1912 , where he received an economic education. He had u. a. Contact with John Maynard Keynes . He moved to the USA in 1937 . In 1971 he was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , 1974 to the National Academy of Sciences and 1980 as a corresponding member of the British Academy .
Like Oskar Lange, Lerner developed a model of competitive socialism that differed from the pure central administration economy. It was also known as the third way . Like Wassily Leontief , Lerner improved Wilhelm Launhardt's calculations on the terms of trade effect . Lerner also improved a formula by Alfred Marshall , which has since been known as the Marshall-Lerner condition , and the Lerner-Samuelson theorem goes back to Lerner . In addition, the Lerner Index , an indicator for determining the degree of monopoly in a market, is named after him.
Lerner developed functional finance , a view of economic management, and conceived the concept of "low full employment", which is of great importance in modern theory under the name of natural unemployment .
- David S. Landes : Abba Ptachya Lerner . In: National Academy of Sciences (Ed.): Biographical Memoirs. Volume 64. The National Academy Press, 1994, ISBN 0-309-06978-5 , pp. 208-231
- Literature by and about Abba P. Lerner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Abba P. Lerner, 1903–1982 ( Memento December 4, 2010 in the Internet Archive ), biography, bibliography and web links, The History of Economic Thought website by Gonçalo L. Fonseca at the New School
- Abba Lerner biography and bibliography on the Economy Professor website
- Abba Ptachya Lerner in The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics
- Deceased Fellows. British Academy, accessed June 28, 2020 .
- Abba P. Lerner: Economics of Employment . McGraw-Hill, New York 1951, pp. 122-138 .
- Abba Lerner: Functional Finance and the Federal Debt . In: Social Research . tape 10 , no. 1 , 1943, p. 38-51 .
- Faruk Ülgen: Financial instability and functional finance: a Lerner-Minsky perspective. In: halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr. 24th annual conference of the European association for evolutionary political economy, October 2012, accessed on August 25, 2019 .
- Abba Lerner: Economics of Employment . McGraw-Hill, New York 1951, OCLC 1311720 , chap. 13 , p. 191-208 .
|SURNAME||Lerner, Abba P.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lerner, Abba Ptachya (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American economist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 28, 1903|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bessarabia|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 27, 1982|
|Place of death||Tallahassee , Florida|