Adam Szymczyk (born September 15, 1970 in Piotrków Trybunalski ) is a Polish art critic and curator . He was artistic director of Documenta 14 in 2017 in Kassel and Athens and was director and chief curator of Kunsthalle Basel from 2003 to 2014.
Szymczyk studied art history at the University of Warsaw . In the mid-1990s he took part in curatorial training at the De Appel art center in Amsterdam. In 1997 he co-founded the Fundacja Galerii Foksal ( Foksal Gallery Foundation ) in Warsaw, for which he worked as a curator until 2003. From 2003 to 2014 he was director of the Kunsthalle Basel. In 2008 he was co-curator of the 5th Berlin Biennale with Elena Filipovic . On November 22, 2013, he was announced as head of Documenta 14 at a press conference .
His life partner is the Swiss video, installation and performance artist Alexandra Bachzetsis (* 1974).
- 2011 - Walter Hopps Award for Curatorial Achievement from the Menil Foundation
On October 6, 2014, Szymczyk presented the concept of documenta 14 at the art college of the University of Kassel . The documenta should take place equally in Athens and Kassel. It opened in Athens in April and in Kassel in June 2017. Szymczyk's working title for documenta 14 was Learning from Athens .
- Adam Szymczyk , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 05/2014 from January 28, 2014, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Literature by and about Adam Szymczyk in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Simon Baur: An intellectual boost for the Kunsthalle - Was the Szymczyk era a success? In: Basler Stadtbuch 2014 , pp. 158–160.
- ↑ https://www.hna.de/kultur/documenta/brief-8682687.html
- ^ A b Adam Szymczyk named 2011 Recipient of the Walter Hopps Award for Curatorial Achievement. e-flux, December 20, 2012, accessed July 5, 2017 .
- ↑ Biography: Adam Szymczyk. (No longer available online.) Frieze Foundation, archived from the original on November 22, 2013 ; accessed on November 22, 2013 (English).
- ^ History - The Kunsthalle Basel. In: Kunsthalle Basel. Accessed April 2, 2020 (German).
- ↑ 5th Berlin Biennale for Contemporary Art: When things cast no shadow. (No longer available online.) Berlinbiennale.de, archived from the original on February 20, 2013 ; Retrieved November 22, 2013 .
- ^ Rüdiger Heinze: Portrait: Adam Symczyk - The shy documenta maker in Augsburger Allgemeine , June 9, 2017.
- ^ Mark-Christian von Busse: Head of Szymczyk: documenta 14 also takes place in Athens . HNA.de from October 6, 2014
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Polish art critic and curator|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 15, 1970|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Piotrków Trybunalski|