Albert Steiner (photographer)
Albert Steiner, the son of the master baker Christian Steiner and Albertine, née Rieder, began an apprenticeship as a photographer with Jean Moeglé in Thun after he broke off an apprenticeship as a baker in his father's company , which he interrupted by a year-long employment in the federal government Munitionsfabrik Thun, completed in 1897. In the same year, Steiner took up a position at the Geneva photographer Fred Boissonnas , and in the following year he took over his parents' bakery after the death of his father. In 1901 Albert Steiner got another job at Boissonnas, which he gave up in 1904 to take over the management of his own shop at 6 rue Faller in Geneva. In 1905 he moved to Bern , where he ran a studio with his brother Hermann .
In 1906 Steiner moved to St. Moritz , where he was initially employed by the photographer Walther Küpfer, before opening his own photo studio in 1909, which he ran together with Hans Robertson from 1915 to 1919 . Albert Steiner, who also ran a small portrait studio, moved into a new, large studio in the former Innfall restaurant in 1924 , which he passed on to his son Hans in 1950. Steiner, 1910 Helene, nee Hirsbrunner, daughter of a traveling salesman married, died in 1965 88-year-old in Frutigen.
Albert Steiner stood out in particular for his landscape photographs from the Engadine , which were among the most reproduced of their time. These recordings, which meet the highest technical and aesthetic standards, have underpinned the image of Switzerland as an Alpine country also abroad. Emil Roniger published his books at Rotapfel-Verlag.
- Engadine landscapes. Fretz Verlag, Zurich 1927.
- Snow, winter, sun. Rotapfel-Verlag, Erlenbach near Zurich 1930.
- With Gottardo Segantini: The four seasons. Word and picture. Rotapfel-Verlag, Erlenbach near Zurich 1938.
- With Karl Foerster: Flowers on Europe's battlements. Word and picture. 12th edition, Rotapfel-Verlag, Erlenbach near Zurich 1949.
- Josef Adolf Schmoll called Eisenwerth , Kunsthaus Zürich: Painting and photography in dialogue: from 1840 to today. Benteli, Wabern, 1979 ISBN 3-7165-0311-8 . Page 406.
- Peter Pfrunder, Albert Steiner, Beat Stutzer: Albert Steiner. The photographic work [on the occasion of the exhibition “Over valleys and people - Albert Steiner. The photographic work ”. , Bündner Kunstmuseum Chur, June 3 to September 18, 2005; Swiss Photo Foundation, Winterthur, December 3, 2005 to February 19, 2006; Galleria Gottardo, Lugano, spring 2007]. Benteli, Wabern 2005.
- Literature by and about Albert Steiner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Georg Sütterlin: Steiner, Albert. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Steiner, Albert in the Swiss Photo Foundation
- Portrait with detailed bibliography in the online lexicon fotoCH
- Steiner, Albert. In: Sikart
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Steiner-Hirsbrunner, Albert|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss photographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 4, 1877|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frutigen|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 4, 1965|
|Place of death||Frutigen|