Alexander S. Kechris
Kechris studied at the Technical University in Athens , where he graduated in mechanical engineering and electrical engineering in 1969. He then studied mathematics at the University of California, Los Angeles with Yiannis N. Moschovakis (Projective Ordinals and countable analytic sets). In 1972 he was a Moore Instructor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology . He is currently a professor at the California Institute of Technology . In 1978 he received a research grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation ( Sloan Research Fellowship ).
Kechris is mainly concerned with descriptive set theory as well as with applications of dynamic systems ( ergodic theory , topological dynamics) and analysis , for example the uniqueness of Fourier series .
In 1998 he was a Gödel lecturer . In 2003 he received along with Greg Hjorth the Karp Prize for joint work on Borel - equivalence relations and especially applications in the theory of turbulence and countable Borel equivalence relations. In 2004 he held the Tarski Lectures honor . In 1986 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berkeley (The complexity of antidifferentiation, Denjoy totalization and hyperarithmetic reals). He is a fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
- Classical Descriptive Set Theory. Springer-Verlag, 1994, ISBN 0-387-94374-9 .
- with Greg Hjorth: Rigidity theorems for actions of product groups and countable borel equivalence relations, Memoirs of the AMS, 2005
- with Benjamin D. Miller: Topics in Orbit Equivalence, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer Verlag 2004
- with Su Gao: On the classification of Polish metric spaces up to isometry, AMS 2003
- Global aspects of ergodic group actions, AMS 2010
- with Alain Louveau: Descriptive set theory and the structure of sets of uniqueness, Cambridge University Press 1987
- with Howard Becker: The descriptive set theory of Polish group actions, Cambridge University Press 1996
- Literature by and about Alexander S. Kechris in the catalog of the German National Library
- Alexander S. Kechris in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Homepage at Caltech
|SURNAME||Kechris, Alexander S.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kechris, Alexander Sotirios (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American logician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1946|