Live and act
Barker learned drums at the age of ten and gained his first musical experience in high school bands as well as in punk and rock bands. Under the influence of jazz records with Tony Williams and Elvin Jones , he occupied himself with jazz drumming. Music by Sun Ra , Albert Ayler and the Art Ensemble of Chicago also had an early influence . From the mid-1990s he played in various formations in Atlanta , with whom the first recordings were made, such as the Gold Sparkle Band , and in a duo with Charles Waters .
From the end of the decade he worked in the New York avant-garde scene a. a. with William Parker , Chris Jonas , Assif Tsahar , Sonny Simmons , Sabir Mateen , Jeffrey Hayden Shurdut , Tanya Kalmanovitch , Hill Greene , Daniel Carter and Edward Ricart . In the 2000s he formed the trio Acid Birds with Charles Waters (alto saxophone, bass clarinet) and Jaime Fennelly (harmonium, electronics) . Three albums have been released so far: Acid Birds (2009, QBICO Records), Acid Birds 2 (2011, Sagittarius A-Star) and Mock Load (2011, Electric Temple Records). He is currently working with his own trio, which includes Michael Foster and James Ilgenfritz . In the field of jazz he was involved in 27 recording sessions between 1995 and 2009.
- Andrew Barker / Charles Waters Duo (Earmark Records, 1997)
- Sabir Mateen, Daniel Carter , Andrew Barker: Not On Earth… In Your Soul! (Qbico, 2005)
- Rob Brown & Andrew Barker Duo: Live in Chicago (Ruby Red Editora, 2008)
- Sabir Mateen, Sirone , Andrew Barker: Infinite Flowers (Sagittarius A-Star, 2013)
- Andrew Barker, Paul Dunmall , Tim Dahl : Luddite (New Atlantis Records, 2014)
- Andrew Barker / Mikko Innanen : A Wink Is as Good as a Nod (Phantom Ear Music, 2017)
- Andrew Barker & Daniel Carter: Polyhedron (Astral Spirits, 2018)
- Barker Trio: Avert Your I (2018), with Michael Foster , Tim Dahl
- Interview 2010
- Acid Birds (3 albums, 3 tracks) , Free Music Archive, accessed June 6, 2015
- 21st Century Improvised Music on the New York Scene (English). (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on June 4, 2015 ; Retrieved June 5, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tom Lord : The Jazz Discography (online, accessed June 5, 2015)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Barker, Andrew D.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1971|