Barend Hendrik Koekkoek
Barend Hendrik Koekkoek came from the Dutch artist family Koekkoek . He was the fourth son of the marine painter Hermanus Koekkoek the elder and grandson of the painter Johannes Hermanus Koekkoek . His brothers were Hermanus Koekkoek the Younger , Willem Koekkoek and Johannes Hermanus Barend Koekkoek . His father followed the family tradition and introduced his sons to painting. His uncle Marinus Adrianus Koekkoek the Elder taught him to paint forest landscapes.
Koekkoek began painting in Amsterdam in 1864. On January 3, 1878, he married Carolina Allardina Cornelia Pierson (August 20, 1854 – before 1909) in Rijswijk . In 1879 he worked for a short time in Hilversum and Brussels ; in the same year he opened an art gallery in Amsterdam. Around 1882 he moved to London, where his brother Hermanus Koekkoek the Younger ran an art trade from 1869. In England he worked in the Guildford area , as did his cousin Pieter Hendrik Koekkoek . Nothing is known about his last years up to his death, the literature names 1889 or 1909 as the year of his death.
Barend Hendrik Koekkoek painted in the traditional romantic style typical for most of the Koekkoek family , mainly landscapes and forest scenes, often with figures; there were also views of the sea and the city. Many pictures were taken in Gelderland . During his time in England, he depicted several winter landscapes with trees in portrait format. He showed his work at exhibitions in Amsterdam, Rotterdam , Arnheim and Haarlem . Some of his works are shown in the Paul Tetar van Elven Museum in Delft or in the Koekkoek House in Kleve , among others , while others are in private collections, especially in the Netherlands and England.
- Pieter A. Scheen : Lexicon Nederlandse beeldende kunstenaars, 1750–1950. Gravenhage 1981, p. 277.
- Benno Tempel, Ronald de Leeuw: Het Romantiek Boek. Waanders Uitgevers. Zwolle 2006. ISBN 9-04008-942-6 .
- Old masters and 19th century art. Christie's, Amsterdam 2012. With family tree on p. 122.
- Hendrik Barend Koekkoek In: RKD-Nederlands Instituut voor Kunstgeschiedenis
- Barend Hendrik 'HB' Koekkoek. In: Simonis & Buunk, Ede
- Hendrik Barend Koekkoek. In: Galerie Gabriels, The Hague
- Gerrit van Hezel: Het schildersgeslacht Koekkoek en de Zuiderzee (1800-1956). In: Schokland Museum, March 11, 2014
|SURNAME||Koekkoek, Hendrik Barend|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Koekkoek, HB; Koekkoek, HB (picture signatures)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch landscape and marine painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 23, 1849|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Amsterdam , Kingdom of the Netherlands|
|DATE OF DEATH||1889 or 1909|
|Place of death||London , UK|