In some cases the word is also used for the internal or external structure of artistic products (for example in music or sculpture ), or in zoology or botany for the "biological blueprint" of animals or plants - such as the type of skeleton . Such characteristics are an important aid for biologists in the systematic classification of living things into classes , families and species .
In the technical sense , one speaks of the design of objects such. B. at:
- Machines (structure, stability , drive ( motor ), underlying patents , etc.)
- Structures (load-bearing elements , statics , building materials , number and height of floors , etc.); see also construction
- Infrastructure - such as railway tracks ( gauge , substructure ), roads or lines .
- Type designation of locomotives for the railway
- the Swiss term for series , see type designations of Swiss locomotives and railcars
The differentiation between different types of products, which are all intended to serve a similar purpose, can be based on many aspects:
- different size or power - for example in the list of aircraft types .
- different durability or quality - for example with shoes , where prices from the same manufacturer differ by more than twice (compared to other manufacturers even more).
- different weight and prestige - in the case of cars , for example, between the smallest and largest types from Fiat , Mercedes or Mazda .
- cultural differences, e.g. B. in the delivery of musical instruments to different countries.