Chehalis River (Washington)
Chehalis River Valley (left), Grays Harbor (center) and Satsop River Valley (foreground)
|Water code||US : 1503931|
|River system||Chehalis River|
|Drain over||Grays Harbor → Pacific Ocean|
|source||in Lewis County
Grays Harbor ( Pacific Ocean ) near Aberdeen , Grays Harbor County
|Height difference||305 m|
|Bottom slope||1.6 ‰|
|Catchment area||6889 km²|
||182 m³ / s
|Right tributaries||South Fork Chehalis River , Newaukum River , Skookumchuck River , Satsop River , Wynoochee River , Wishkah River|
|Small towns||Aberdeen , Centralia , Chehalis|
The Chehalis River is a 185 km long river in the state of Washington in the United States . It drains an area of 6889 km². It originates in several arms in the southwest of the state and flows first to the east and then in a long arc over the north to the west before reaching the sea at Grays Harbor , an estuary in the Pacific Ocean .
The starting point of the Chehalis River is the confluence of the West Forks Chehalis River and East Fork Chehalis River in southwest Lewis County . From there, the river flows east and then north, collecting water from streams that drain the Willapa Hills and other low mountain ranges in southwest Washington. A few kilometers west of the city of Chehalis , the South Fork Chehalis River flows into it. The Newaukum River has its mouth at Chehalis, after which the river turns north. The Skookumchuck River flows into Centralia . Below Centralia, the river curves north and then west through Rainbow Falls State Park , receiving the waters of the Black River , which drains the Black Hills to the north, and the Satsop River and Wynoochee River , which flow near Montesano . Both rivers come from the southern part of the Olympic Mountains .
Below Montesano, the river is more and more influenced by the tides . It widens into an estuary called Grays Harbor. A little east of the city of Aberdeen , which is just above the river mouth, the Chehalis River receives the Wishkah River and a little further west, between Aberdeen and Hoquiam , the Hoquiam River flows . From this point on the river is called Grays Harbor. Before the estuary empties into the Pacific Ocean, the Humptulips River flows into it .
- Chehalis River ( Memento of the original from March 30, 2005 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , The Columbia Gazetteer of North America
- Chehalis River Council: Overview of the Chehalis River Basin ( Memento of July 21, 2011 in the Internet Archive ), status 1992
- Chehalis River Council
- Map of the catchment area of the Chehalis River . USGS website .
- Chehalis River in the Geographic Names Information System of the United States Geological Survey , USGS , GNIS
- East Fork Chehalis River in the Geographic Names Information System of the United States Geological Survey , USGS , GNIS
- West Fork Chehalis River in the Geographic Names Information System of the United States Geological Survey , USGS , GNIS
- South Fork Chehalis River in the Geographic Names Information System of the United States Geological Survey , USGS , GNIS