Main street in Aberdeen
|Location in Washington|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Grays Harbor County|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||16,896 (as of 2010)|
|Population density :||614.4 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||31.5 km 2 (approx. 12 mi 2 ) of
which 27.5 km 2 (approx. 11 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||7 m|
|Postal code :||98520|
|Area code :||+1 360|
|GNIS ID :||1511950|
|Mayor :||William (Bill) A. Simpson|
"Come As You Are" is the title of a song by the band Nirvana , whose founder Kurt Cobain was born in Grays Harbor Community Hospital .
Aberdeen is a medium-sized city with 16,896 inhabitants (as of 2010) in Grays Harbor County in the state of Washington , United States . It is located as the crow flies about 180 km northwest of Portland and about 130 km southwest of Seattle at the east end of Grays Harbor , which leads to the Pacific .
This city was first mentioned in 1881. It was founded by the settler Samuel Benn , who named it after the Scottish city of Aberdeen . The main street of the town, Main Street , is architecturally reminiscent of the time of the railroad construction in the USA at the end of the 19th century, when the city temporarily had greater importance.
Aberdeen is located at the mouth of the Chehalis River in Grays Harbor. The city center is located on the north bank and borders directly on the neighboring town of Hoquiam to the west . South Aberdeen on the south bank of the Chehalis is connected to the northern part of the city by the bridge of US Highway 101 and borders on Cosmopolis . In the east two small exclaves belong to the urban area. The larger of the two surrounds Aberdeen Lake , the smaller is about 10 km northeast of the center on the Wynoochee River , where the city of Aberdeen operates a water intake.
Most people live in single-family houses made of wood, which is the cheapest raw material because of the large forest areas typical of Washington. As in most American cities, the American flag is a typical street scene.
At the entrance sign to the city on the freeway there is a plaque with the words "Come As You Are" in honor of the Aberdeen born and raised rock musician Kurt Cobain ( Nirvana ). Come as You Are is a track released by Nirvana in 1991 on the album Nevermind .
The city is known as the "birthplace of grunge ", as it has produced other singers and bands in this musical genre alongside Cobain.
Information about the city
The average population density in 2010 was 614.4 inhabitants / km². 24.9% of the population was under 18. The median income per household was $ 39,193. Approx. 19% of the population lives below the poverty line .
Aberdeen has two twin cities:
sons and daughters of the town
- Robert Motherwell (1915–1991), painter
- Victor Grinich (1924–2000), electrical engineer
- Robert Arthur (1925–2008), actor
- Lee Friedlander (* 1934), photographer
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017), choreographer
- Peter Norton (* 1943), software developer and entrepreneur
- Douglas Dean Osheroff (* 1945), physicist and professor
- Patrick Simmons (* 1948), singer and guitarist with the Doobie Brothers
- Ed Murray (born 1955), Democratic politician, Mayor of Seattle
- Patrick M. Shanahan (* 1962), politician and industry manager
- Matt Lukin (* 1964), bassist for the grunge band Mudhoney
- Kurt Cobain (1967–1994), singer and guitarist in the band Nirvana
- Dale Crover (born 1967), musician
- Violetta Blue , real name: Ada Mae Johnson (* 1977), porn actress
- Daniel Bryan (born 1981), wrestler