classic production osnabrück
cpo was founded in 1986 by Gerhard Georg Ortmann. Ortmann is the managing partner of the media mail order company jpc with headquarters in Georgsmarienhütte , a small town south of Osnabrück . Since 1991 the producer and director A&R Burkhard Schmilgun has been responsible for the selection of the repertoire to be published.
The focus is on large editions of works by composers such as Ferdinand Ries , Johann Michael Haydn , Paul Hindemith , Hans Pfitzner , Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek , Erich Wolfgang Korngold , Egon Wellesz , Kurt Atterberg , Franz Lehár , Max Reger , Aulis Sallinen , Felix Woyrsch and Allan Pettersson . A total of over 900 CDs and over 20 SACDs have been released, including some first recordings. About six new publications are added every month.
Under the name cpo-ton , cpo has published three audio books with novels by Walter Kempowski . The author reads his works on these CDs himself. Two volumes with 12 and 9 CDs respectively with radio essays by Arno Schmidt under the title Messages from Books and People 1 + 2 complete this series.
The company has received several awards for the quality of its productions: with the " Cannes Classical Award ", which was awarded to it as the best label worldwide at the Midem in Cannes in 1995 , and the "Lower Saxony Music Prize", which the company received in 2003 in recognition of creative achievements was awarded.
In 2015, the cpo company won a Grammy for the best opera recording, La descente d'Orphée aux enfers by the French composer Marc-Antoine Charpentier at the 57th Grammy Awards . In the same year, the cpo recording of two baroque operas by Marc-Antoine Charpentier was also awarded the German music prize Echo Klassik . In addition, cpo received the echo for the best editorial performance of 2015, the original version of Meyerbeer's “ Vasco de Gama ”.
For the great commitment to the composer Georg Philipp Telemann , the city of Magdeburg awarded the Telemann Prize 2017 to the label cpo and its artistic director Burkhard Schmilgun. From the reason: “ At the moment there is no other label that publishes works by the important composer Georg Philipp Telemann, who was born in Magdeburg, with an even remotely similar abundance, continuity and quality. The CDs published by cpo include numerous first recordings of his compositions as well as recordings that are considered to be of reference. With particular sustainability, the cpo label helps to spread Telemann's works worldwide and pave their way into the concert repertoire. "
- Gerhard Georg Ortmann - Managing Director
- Burkhard Schmilgun - Director Artists & Repertoire
- Caroline Ranke - Product Manager
- Michael Rickert - Export Manager
- Lothar Bruweleit - design
- Osnabrücker Zeitung - Classical label from GMHütte wins Grammy in Los Angeles
- Echo Klassik 2015 ( Memento of the original from January 27, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Telemann Prize 2017 for Burkhard Schmilgun / cpo Georgsmarienhütte - Telemann in Magdeburg. In: telemann.org. November 25, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2017 .