Coroner at the Eindhoven Metal Meeting 2017
|origin||Zurich , Switzerland|
|Genre (s)||Thrash metal|
Coroner was a Swiss thrash metal - band from Zurich , which was from 1984 to 1995. Coroner are particularly known for their progressive , jazz- heavy style and Tommy Vetterlis' guitar playing , although at the time of their existence there was no commercial success. Coroners always played in the same line-up until their end.
Coroner was founded in Zurich in 1984. The band's first incarnation included singer Peter Attinger, bassist Phil Pusztai, drummer Marky Edelmann and guitarists Tommy Ritter and Oly Amberg. Oly Amberg later switched to Celtic Frost . Coroner has a lot in common with the band, also from Zurich, especially at the beginning of their career. Celtic Frost's singer Thomas Gabriel Fischer took over the vocals on the 1986 coroner demo Death Cult , at which point the members of both bands had been good friends for several years; guitarist Tommy Vetterli, replacing Amberg at Coroner, and drummer Marky Edelmann, on the other hand, were on tour as roadies with Celtic Frost. At the beginning of their careers, the musicians operated under pseudonyms. Singer / bassist Ron Broder called himself Ron Royce, guitarist Tommy Vetterli operated as Tommy T. Baron and drummer Marky Edelmann called himself Marquis Marky.
Like Celtic Frost, Coroner were signed to the German label Noise Records in the mid-1980s . The first album, RIP , was released in 1987. The album received excellent reviews and sold over 50,000 copies in Europe. In addition to the style influenced by progressive tendencies, jazz and classical music , Coroner was distinguished from the start by a concise album concept that determines the basic look of all Coroner albums. A planned European tour as the opening act for MOD was canceled. The second LP Punishment for Decadence was released a year after the debut and has a cover version for the first time with an idiosyncratic interpretation of the Jimi Hendrix title Purple Haze . A planned US tour with Sabbath and Rage was canceled at the last moment and concerts in England were postponed because the musicians were not granted work permits. Later that year, the band opened for Sacred Reich .
After the third album No More Color , the band completed a first headlining tour through Europe and was supported by Watchtower . Mental Vortex from 1991 is widely regarded as the band's reference work. The album was recorded in the Sky Trak Studio in Berlin and mixed by Tom Morris in the legendary Morrisound studio in Tampa, Florida . With I Want You (She's So Heavy) another idiosyncratic cover version is represented, originally by The Beatles . In 1993 the band released the studio album Grin , which consistently continued on the path of its predecessor. Again the album was mixed by Tom Morris. A European tour in the opening act of Annihilator followed.
In 1995 the band released the best-of album Coroner . Peter Haas (ex- Krokus , Calhoun Conquer , Mekong Delta ) can be heard on drums on three new songs on the album . At the beginning of 1996 Coroner completed a “farewell” tour in France and Switzerland. An audio cassette called The Unknown Unreleased Tracks 1985-1995 was sold at these concerts . In the same year the band was disbanded. Vetterli then founded the band Clockwork, which was disbanded in 1996. Edelmann came into action in 1997 as part of Thomas Gabriel Fischer's new band Apollyon Sun and can be heard on the album Sub, which was released in 2000 , and he was also involved in the electronic field of music. Broder no longer worked in the music business.
In 2005 rumors of a possible reunion emerged, but these were denied with a press release after the band met. In 2010 the band decided to perform together again the next year and to rehearse for it. Concerts have been booked in Lausanne , at the Maryland Deathfest , the Hellfest Summer Open Air , the Bloodstock Open Air and for 2012 at the 70,000 Tons of Metal . In an interview, Tommy Vetterli said on the one hand that this was not about reviving the group, but that they would only play a few concerts together. On the other hand, he did not categorically rule out the production of a new album.
Coroner describes Classic Thrash as "undoubtedly one of the better technical speed / thrash metal bands". The characteristic sound of the band, which has been retained from the first album RIP on, is "very heavy, not exactly the fastest, but more technical than the average band"; Nevertheless, the result sounds “mostly quite interesting and fresh”. The second album, Punishment for Decadence, is more consistent than the debut, but it lacks its energy. On their third album No More Color , with which they moved away from conventional Thrash Metal, the band sounded “devastatingly heavy and focused” despite the technical aspect and the variation; it is the "heaviest and probably the best of Coroner's early albums".
- 1986: Death Cult (demo)
- 1987: RIP
- 1988: Punishment for Decadence
- 1989: No More Color
- 1991: Mental Vortex
- 1993: Grin
Best of albums
- 1995: Coroner (Best Of with new songs and remixes)
Singles and EPs
- 1989: Purple Haze
- 1989: Die by My Hand
- 1991: I Want You (She's So Heavy)
- 1990: No More Color Tour 1990 - Live in East Berlin (VHS)
- Frank Stöver: Apollyon's Sun . In: Voices from the Darkside , No. 9, 1996, p. 32.
- Chris Brown: A brief history of Swiss Metal band Coroner ( Memento from December 12, 2002 in the Internet Archive ).
- Coroner - Latest News . ( Memento of the original from November 6, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Coroner Rehearsals 2011 . Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Les Docks - 04/23/2011 Coroner ( Memento of the original from April 23, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- History of MDF, accessed April 13, 2011.
- Hellfest 2011 Line-Up Final !!! - Hellfest 2011 final line-up !!! ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Coroner Confirm Only UK Show Of 2011 . Bloodstock; Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Spaceman: Coroner: the existential matter ( Memento of the original from July 2, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- reviews - C .
- Charts CH