Dieter Haller grew up in Ebersbach an der Fils . He was introduced to ethnology through his cousin Eberhard Haussmann . From 1982 to 1991 Haller studied ethnology, sociology and Romance studies (Hispanic studies) at the University of Heidelberg , especially with Georg Pfeffer . From 1985 to 1986 he carried out his first field research in Seville / Andalusia on the subject of “machismo and homosexuality ”, and in 1988 a second research phase followed. He did his doctorate on the research topic under the supervision of Richard Burghart, Reinhold Löffler and Thomas Hauschild .
Between 1991 and 2000 he taught as a lecturer at various universities in Germany and abroad. 1995-97 he worked as a project manager of the research project ethnicisation and nation building in the Mediterranean: Gibraltar , at the European University Viadrina , at the Department of Comparative Cultural and Social Anthropology of Werner Schiffauer . In Gibraltar he carried out a 12-month field research from 1996 to 1997. With this project he completed his habilitation in 1999.
After various visiting and substitute professorships (2000 substitute for a C3 professorship at the Institute for European Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt / Main ; 2001 visiting professor at the Institute for Ethnology at the University of Hamburg , 2001/02 visiting professor for ethnology at the Laboratorio de Estudios Interculturales , Universidad de Granada / Spain, 2003 Theodor Heuss Lecturer at the Gradudate Faculty of Political and Social Sciences at New School University / New York) followed a two-year position as Adjunct Associate Professor for Cultural Anthropology at the Department of Germanic Studies and at the European Studies Center from the University of Texas / Austin. In January – May 2005 he conducted field research on Texan identity in San Antonio (The Alamo), Crawford (Texas) (Bush Ranch), Dallas ( Southfork Ranch ), Luckenbach, Johnson City (Lyndon B. Johnson Ranch) .
In the winter semester 2005/06 Haller was appointed to the newly founded professorship for social anthropology (since 2017: ethnology) at the Ruhr University Bochum . Since 2006 he has organized the research network Mainstream American Anthropology (MACNet) within the European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA) together with Irene Stengs (Meertens Institute, Amsterdam ). He is a founding member and from 2010 to 2014 a member of the board of directors of the first German Center for Mediterranean Studies (Ruhr-Uni Bochum).
As part of the Opus Magnum program of the VW Foundation (2009–2011), he presented a history of Federal Republican ethnology.
In 2013/14 he carried out a one-year ethnological field research in Tangier / Morocco on the subject of "Forms of coping with existence in the context of the transformation of the ports of Tangier". Haller continues to conduct research in Tangier and northern Morocco, particularly on cosmopolitanism, modernization, Sufism, trance and obsession.
Since 2019, Haller has been researching ethnographically and historically the relationship between Gibraltar and Tangier, as well as the effects of the Brexit (process) on Gibraltar.
- Seville - A City Book (1992)
- Machismo and homosexuality - on the gender role conception of men in Andalusia , dissertation at the Univ. Heidelberg 1992
- Co-author of Encounter - Understand - Action: Handbook for Intercultural Communication Training (1993)
- Borders and Borderlands - An Anthropological Perspective , edited together with Hastings Donnan as a special volume of ZS "Ethnologia Europaea", 30 (2), 2000
- Living border Gibraltar - transnationalism, locality and identity from a cultural anthropological perspective , Wiesbaden: Deutscher Universitätsverlag 2002
- DTV Atlas for Ethnology , Munich: dtv 2nd edition 2010
- Corruption: Anthropological Perspectives , edited with Cris Shore . London: Pluto Press 2005
- Lone Star Texas - Ethnographic Notes from an Unknown Country , Bielefeld: transcript 2007
- The search for the foreign - History of Ethnology in the Federal Republic 1945-1990 , Frankfurt / Main: Campus 2012
- Handbook of Mediterranean Studies - Systematic Mediterranean Research and Disciplinary Approaches. Mihran Dabag / Dieter Haller / Nikolas Jaspert / Achim Lichtenberger (eds.) Paderborn: Verlag Ferdinand Schönigh, series Mediterranean studies, 2015.
- Essays on Heritage, Tourism and Society in the MENA Region - Proceedings of the International Heritage Conference 2013 at Tangier, Morocco . Dieter Haller / Achim Lichtenberger / Meike Meerpohl (eds.). Paderborn: Verlag Ferdinand Schönigh, series Mediterranean studies 2015
- Mediterranean Research in the 21st Century . Mihran Dabag / Dieter Haller / Nikolas Jaspert / Achim Lichtenberger (eds.). Paderborn: Verlag Ferdinand Schönigh, series Mediterranean studies. 2016
- Tangier - the port, the ghosts, the lust: an ethnography . Bielefeld, transcript 2016
- Focus on Tangier - Là où l'Afrique et l'Europe se rencontrent . Dieter Haller, Steffen Wippel, Helmut Reifeld (eds.): Rabat, Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Bureau du Maroc
- Ontological entanglements - reason and spirits , in: Psychosozial 146, Issue IV, 2017: 45–61
- Sex: Ethnographic Encounters . Richard Joseph Martin & Dieter Haller (eds.). London, Bloomsbury 2018
- Literature by and about Dieter Haller in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of the Chair of Social Anthropology
- Center for Mediterranean Studies
- Homepage of Haller's project "Specialist history of West German ethnology 1945 / 49-1990
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ethnologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 22, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Plochingen|