Ernst Lemberger (born July 9, 1906 in Vienna ; † December 3, 1974 there ) was an Austrian lawyer , diplomat and resistance fighter . Among other things, he was ambassador to Brussels , Washington, DC and Paris .
As early as 1934 Lemberger took part in the so-called February battles in Vienna. In 1943 Lemberger, who worked as a coal worker in Carmaux , joined the French Resistance under the code name Jean Lambert . From 1944 to 1945 he was a foreign representative of the Provisional Austrian National Committee (POEN) and later a member of the SPÖ . After the end of the war, Lemberger went to Sweden as a representative of the SPÖ to bring the politician and later Austrian Chancellor Bruno Kreisky out of political exile. Although Kreisky stayed in Sweden for the time being, from now on he saw Lemberger as a political confidante, through whom, for example, in December 1961 he had Austria submit an “association request” to the EEC , and Kreisky gave a funeral speech at his funeral. In November 1945 he entered the diplomatic service and later became the Austrian ambassador in Brussels (from 1958), Washington, DC (from 1965) and Paris (from 1969).
- Werner Röder, Herbert A. Strauss (Ed.): Biographical manual of German-speaking emigration after 1933–1945 Volume 1: Politics, economics, public life. Saur, Munich 1980, p. 430.
- European Socialism in the Cold War: Letters and Reports 1944–1948 (= Peter Heumos [Hrsg.]: Sources and Studies on Social History . No. 20 ). Campus, Frankfurt / New York 2004, ISBN 978-3-593-37470-3 , pp. 180 ( limited preview in Google Book Search).
- Tilly Spiegel : Austrians in the Belgian and French Resistance . Europe, Vienna / Frankfurt / Zurich 1969, p. 26 .
- Oliver Rathkolb : The Paradoxical Republic: Austria 1945-2005 . Berghahn Books, New York / Oxford 2010, ISBN 978-1-84545-792-1 , pp. 94 (English, limited preview in Google Book Search).
- Barbara Liegl, Anton Pelinka : Chronos and Oedipus. The Kreisky-Androsch conflict . Braumüller, Vienna 2004, ISBN 978-3-7003-1476-9 , pp. 183 ( Chapter online on the website of Hannes Androsch [PDF; 58 kB ]).
- biography. In: www.kreisky.org. Bruno Kreisky Archive Association, accessed on January 18, 2018 (see sub-item 1940 ).
- Michael Gehler : History and Identity: Festschrift for Robert Kriechbaumer for his 60th birthday (= Franz Schausberger [Hrsg.]: Series of publications of the Research Institute for Political-Historical Studies of the Dr.-Wilfried-Haslauer-Bibliothek . No. 35 ). Böhlau, Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-205-78187-5 , p. 439 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
- Speeches by Bruno Kreisky. In: www.kreisky.org. Bruno Kreisky Archive Association, accessed on January 18, 2018 .
Austrian Ambassador to Belgium
Austrian Ambassador to the United States
Austrian ambassador to France
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian diplomat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 9, 1906|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||3rd December 1974|
|Place of death||Vienna|