FR David (* 1. January 1947 as Eli Robert David Fitoussi in Menzel Bourguiba , French North Africa ) is a French -tunesischer singer and songwriter. In 1982 he had a number one hit with Words in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. He often varied his stage name a little, his publications were made at the beginning of his career under FR David , later also as FR David or FR. David .
In 1957 he moved to Paris with his parents . In London he gained his first experience with various bands ( Les Trèfles , Les Boots, Les Jets, Les Hot Beats and Sans Nom ). In 1967 he received his first recording contract, for the first time under his pseudonym FR David, which resulted in a number of singles in the late 1960s . In 1972 he played guitar and percussion with Vangelis on his album Earth .
He then joined the French-Moroccan hard rock and electric blues band Les Variations. When the band broke up, he lived as a studio musician in the USA for five years , where he worked for Ray Charles , Toto , the Doobie Brothers , Richie Havens and The O'Jays , among others . In 1978 he teamed up with Marc Tobaly, ex-guitarist of Les Variations for the David Krebs-produced project King of Hearts and released an album and a single. His song Rock Fame was used in a bar scene in 1981 in the film The Horny Ox and His Draft Horse by Francis Veber with Pierre Richard and Gérard Depardieu . The song itself wasn't released until 1983.
His world hit, Words , which he wrote, sold more than eight million copies from 1981. First he reached second place on the French charts; in August 1982 it was number 1 on the charts in Germany and in April 1983 second in Great Britain. It even reached number 62 in the US charts . David was actually primarily a rock musician and had written the pop song Words when he was in a financial crisis and his agent asked him to turn to more danceable songs. Words remained the only big hit from FR David, who continues to perform regularly to this day.
- 1982 - Words
- 1984 - Long Distance Flight
- 1987 - Reflections
- 1991 - Greatest Hits
- 1999 - Words - '99 version
- 2001 - Voices Of The Blue Planet (co-producer)
- 2003 - Sunset Project
- 2007 - The Wheel
- 2009 - Numbers
- 2013 - Midnight Drive
- 1982 - Words / When the Sun Goes Down
- 1983 - Pick Up the Phone / Someone to Love
- 1983 - Music / Givin't It Up
- 1983 - I Need You / Porcelain Eyes
- 1983 - Gotta Get a Move On / Rock Fame
- 1984 - Play a Little Game
- 1983 - Sand Dunes
- 1983 - Dream Away / Good Times
- 1986 - Sahara Night / Shooting Star
- 1987 - Don't Go
- 1992 - I'll Try to Love Again
- 2003 - Miss Me
- 2009 - In My Mind
- 2009 - taxi
- 2009 - Some People Never Learn
- 2010 - Words 2010
- 2011 - Words 2011
- 2018 - Your Love Shines
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from April 14, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Variations (1966-1975) ( Memento of the original from February 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Entry at France Heavy-Rock, March 22, 2009
- NDR: FR - David "Words". Retrieved March 9, 2018 .
- David ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (by Fischmob), lyrics
- Chart sources: Singles albums AT CH UK
- Awards: DE
- Voices of the Blue Planet, Relaxing time, Celtic tradition , Copyright Encyclopedia, accessed November 23, 2012
- FR David , entry in Discopedia (Russian)
- Website FR David (English)
- Portrait of FR Davids on EuroDanceHits.com (English)
- FR David at Discogs (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Fitoussi, Eli Robert (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French pop musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 1, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Menzel Bourguiba , Tunisia|