Frank Shu (Chinese: 徐 遐 生) (born June 2, 1943 in Kunming ) is an American astrophysicist of Chinese descent.
Shu was born in Kunming, China, and came to the United States when he was six, growing up in Chicago and West Lafayette . He received his bachelor's degree in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1963 . He earned his doctorate in astronomy in 1968 from Harvard University , after which he taught for five years at SUNY Stony Brook . In 1972 he received a research grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation ( Sloan Research Fellowship ). Shu was a professor at the University of California, Berkeley from 1973 to 2002 , and he headed its astronomy department from 1984 to 1988. From 2002 to 2006 he was President of the National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan . He has been a professor emeritus since 2006 at the University of California, San Diego .
From 1994 to 1996 Shu was President of the American Astronomical Society (AAS).
Shu worked as a theorist on topics such as the origin of meteorites, formation and early evolution of stars, mass transfer in tight binary stars, and the structure of spiral galaxies. While still a student, he and Chia-Chiao Lin developed the theory of spiral arms in galaxies, known as density wave theory . In 1977 he published a model for the formation of a star through the collapse of a spherical gas cloud in the core of a molecular cloud .
- The Physical Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy. University Science Books, Mill Valley 1982, ISBN 0-935702-05-9 .
- 1977 Helen B. Warner Prize
- 1987 member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1990 member of the Academia Sinica in Taiwan
- 1992 member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1996 Oort professorship at the University of Leiden
- 1996 Brouwer Award
- 2000 Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics
- 2003 member of the American Philosophical Society
- 2005 The asteroid (18238) Frankshu is named after him.
- 2008 Centennial Medal from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University
- 2009 Shaw Prize
- 2009 Bruce Medal
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Shu, Frank H.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Chinese-American astronomer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 2, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kunming|