Francis is a male name .
Origin and meaning
Franziskus is the Latinized first name of the Italian name Francesco in German or Franciscus in Middle Latin . A short form common in the German language is Franz . The female form of the name is Franziska .
The name is derived from the Italian nickname Francesco ("little French"). This was used by his parents for Giovanni Bernardone , who came to be known as Francis of Assisi or Saint Francis . It is particularly widespread in southern Germany and has its roots in the Old French franc for "free", which was used in the Latin language as francus .
Francis as first name and single name
- Francis of Assisi , also Saint Francis (1181 or 1182–1226), founder of the Catholic Order of the Franciscans
- Franziskus (Pope) (* 1936), Pope of the Roman Catholic Church
- Franziskus von Bettinger (1850–1917), cathedral capitular and cathedral dean of the diocese of Speyer, then archbishop of Munich and Freising, and cardinal
- Franziskus Dellgruen (1901–1984), German painter and graphic artist of the modern age
- Franziskus Demann (1900–1957), Bishop of Osnabrück
- Franziskus Ehrle (1845–1934), Curia Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Franziskus Eisenbach (* 1943), emeritus Roman Catholic auxiliary bishop in Mainz
- Franziskus Faber (1542–1593), German physician
- Franziskus Antonius Fasani (1681–1742), Franciscan and priest; Saint
- Franziskus Xaver Hennemann (1882–1951), mission bishop
- Franziskus Janssens (1881–1950), 76th Abbot General of the Cistercian Order.
- Franziskus Joel (1508–1579), Hungarian pharmacologist and physician
- Francis Mary of the Cross Jordan (1848–1918), Catholic priest and founder of the order
- Franziskus Klesin (1643–1708), 21st abbot of the imperial abbey of Ochsenhausen in today's Biberach district in Upper Swabia
- Franciscus Maurolicus (1494–1575), polymath
- Francis of Paula Schönborn (1844–1899), cardinal and bishop of Budweis and archbishop of Prague
- Franziskus Örnestedt (1624–1685), Swedish politician, diplomat and court chancellor
- Francis von Sales Bauer (1841–1915), Bishop of Brno and Archbishop of Olomouc
- Franziskus Maria Stratmann (1883–1971), Dominican and theoretician of the Catholic peace movement
- Franziskus von Streng (1884–1970), Roman Catholic Bishop of Basel
- Franziskus Wendels (* 1960), German artist
- Franziskus Wolf (1876–1944), missionary, Roman Catholic bishop and Vicar Apostolic of East New Guinea
- Franziskus Freiherr Heereman von Zuydtwyck (* 1946), Abbot of the Benedictine Abbey of Neuburg in Heidelberg
Francis as a surname
- Daniel Franziskus (* 1991), football player