education and profession
After graduating from high school in 1942, she was employed in the Reich Labor Service and military service. After the war she finished her studies in 1949 as a qualified librarian . In 1951 she spent three months in the United States thanks to a Fulbright scholarship . Until 1961 she worked at the University of Heidelberg . It was here that she received her doctorate to become a Dr. phil. with the work The beginnings of adult education in Germany from the end of the 18th century to 1848/49 . She then worked for the Hessian State Association for Adult Education in Frankfurt am Main until 1969 . From 1969 to 1986 she worked at the University of Frankfurt with a focus on adult education. She was a member of the Frankfurt Historical Commission .
Frolinde Balser is buried in Frankfurt's main cemetery.
From 1964 to 1985, Balser, who had joined the SPD in 1957, was a city councilor in Frankfurt. From 1968 to 1972 she was chairwoman of the culture and leisure committee. From 1976 until the local elections in Hesse (lost by the SPD) in 1977 , she was the (first female) city councilor in the Römer .
- 1991: Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Wilhelm Leuschner Medal
- Honor plaque and Roman plaque in bronze, silver and gold
- From 1989 she was the city elder in Frankfurt am Main.
- Frolinde Balser : From ruins to a European center: History of the city of Frankfurt am Main 1945–1989 . Ed .: Frankfurter Historical Commission (= publications of the Frankfurter Historical Commission . Volume XX ). Jan Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1995, ISBN 3-7995-1210-1 .
- Rudolf Vierhaus , Ludolf Herbst (eds.), Bruno Jahn (collaborators): Biographical manual of the members of the German Bundestag. 1949-2002. Vol. 1: A-M. KG Saur, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-598-23782-0 , pp. 33-34.
- Literature by and about Frolinde Balser in the catalog of the German National Library
- FEDERAL ARCHIVE - Central database for estates In: nachlassdatenbank.de . Retrieved on August 30, 2016 (information about the estate of Frolinde Balser in the Frankfurt Institute for Urban History).
- Balser, Frolinde. Hessian biography. (As of July 13, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SPD), Member of the Bundestag|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 6, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ingelheim am Rhein|
|DATE OF DEATH||4th November 2012|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|