Attempts at definition take into account either the human characteristics that are necessary for dexterity or the body parts used for this . Dexterity is a degree of ease, speed, and accuracy in motor actions. It manifests itself in fine motor movements of the hands, feet or the head. Skill is therefore the ability to perform target motor actions with distal parts of the body , with the stability of the trunk and the proximal joints being guaranteed. Skill can be improved through practice , play , routine and gradually increasing the difficulty level.
Work and leisure
Skill is a quality that is needed both at work and in leisure time . Precision mechanics , goldsmiths , artisans , toolmakers , dental technicians , magicians and other industrial and technical professions in particular belong to a class of professions in which manual dexterity is an essential part of professional ability. In leisure time, it depends on dexterity such as housework , DIY and gardening . Skill is required in many sports . Games of skill train motor skills , fine motor skills , coordinative skills or movement coordination . A lack of skill can lead to mistakes , for example to incorrect production at work or to household accidents in leisure time .
- Carl Biederstaedt, Critical Study of the Essence and Theory of Skill , Diss., 1942
- James Drever / Werner D. Fröhlich, Dictionary of Psychology , 1970, p. 115
- Kurt Meinel / Günter Schnabel, Bewegungslehre - Sportmotorik , 2007, p. 222
- Renata Horst, Motorisches Strategietraining und PNF , 2005, p. 5
- Felix Rauner / Lars Heinemann / Andrea Maurer / Li Ji / Zhiqun Zhao, Measuring professional competencies , Volume III, 2011, p. 36