Gurinder Chadha comes from a Panjab Indian family. She was born in Kenya, but her parents moved to Southall , London , after the country gained independence in 1961 . Chadha first worked as a radio reporter for the BBC. In 1989 she made the documentary I'm English but ... about the life of young British people of Asian origin for the television station Channel 4 . The following year she founded her film production company Umbi Films . Her first major film was Bhaji on the Beach (1993).
The director achieved international fame in 2002 with the women's football film Kick it like Beckham . In addition to the leading actress Parminder Nagra , Keira Knightley had her breakthrough as an actress in this film . The Jane Austen film adaptation, Love rather Indian (2004) with the Indian actress Aishwarya Rai in the lead role, was also successful .
After that Gurinder Chadha appeared several times on British television. In the BBC show Your London (2005) she told the story of a Sikh prince who lived in London in the 19th century. In 2006, she followed the BBC series Who Do You Think You Are? the traces of their own Sikh family to their roots in Kenya and the Indian Panjab .
Chadha was appointed Officer of the British Empire (OBE) on June 17, 2006 .
On February 12, 2017, her film The Star of India (Viceroy's House) had its world premiere at the Berlinale 2017 , where it was shown outside of the competition. Chadha and her husband wrote the script, which was inspired by the experiences of their own ancestors.
- 1990: I'm British But ... (TV documentary)
- 1992: Pain, Passion and Profit
- 1992: Acting Our Age
- 1993: Bhaji on the Beach
- 1994: A Nice Arrangement
- 1994: What Do You Call an Indian Woman Who's Funny
- 1995: Rich Deceiver
- 2000: What's Cooking?
- 2002: Kick it like Beckham (Bend It Like Beckham)
- 2004: Dear Indian (Bride and Prejudice)
- 2006: Paris, je t'aime (episode "Quais de Seine")
- 2008: Frontalknutschen (Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging)
- 2010: It's A Wonderful Afterlife
- 2017: The Star of India (Viceroy's House)
- 2019: Blinded by the Light
- 2005: Koffee with Karan
- 2005: Your London
- 2006: Who Do You Think You Are?
- Gurinder Chadha in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Biography and filmography at screenonline. org ( British Film Institute )
- Interview with Gurinder Chadha in The Observer
- Interview with Gurinder Chadha in Bollywoodgate
- Gurinder Chadha on Who Do You Think You Are?
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 10, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kenya|