Hans Georg Gundel
The son of Professor of Classical Philology Wilhelm Gundel received his doctorate in 1937 under Fritz Taeger with the subject of investigations into the tactics and strategy of the Teutons based on ancient sources . After Gundel took part in World War II , he taught from 1948 to 1968 at the Landgraf-Ludwigs-Gymnasium in Giessen. After Wilhelm Hoffmann left for Tübingen in 1968 , he was appointed to the Chair of Ancient History at the University of Gießen . He held this position until his retirement in 1978.
Gundel received numerous honors such as the election to the corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute , the award of the History Prize of the University of Gießen in 1982, the election to the historical commission for Hesse and the appointment as honorary member of the Upper Hessian History Association .
His research and publications focused on the Roman-Germanic disputes, ancient astronomy as well as the Hessian, Giessen and university history. From 1950 to 1987 he was in charge of the Giessen papyrus collection of the university library . He worked for a time on the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae and wrote numerous mainly prosopographical articles for Pauly's Realencyclopadie der classical antiquity and the little Pauly .
- Zodiacos: pictures of the zodiac in antiquity. Cosmic references and ideas of the hereafter in everyday life in ancient times. Zabern, Mainz 1992, ISBN 3-8053-1324-1 .
- The ancient Orient and ancient Greece. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 1981, ISBN 3-12-915610-0 .
- Worldview and astrology in the Greek magic papyri (= Munich contributions to papyrus research and ancient legal history. Volume 53). Beck, Munich 1968.
- Book of honor of the Giessen fraternity Alemannia. Our fallen 1939–1945. Giessen 1966.
- Wilhelm Gundel : deans and dean star images. A contribution to the history of the constellations of the civilized peoples (= studies of the Warburg library. Volume 19). Augustin, Hamburg et al. 1936 (2nd, revised edition London / Darmstadt 1969 with an appendix by Hans Georg Gundel).
- with Friedrich Bert: Further contributions to the history of the Giessen fraternity Alemannia. Ceremony for the 110th foundation festival. Giessen 1971.
- with Peter Moraw , Volker Press : Giessen scholars in the first half of the 20th century. 2 volumes, NG Elwert Verlag, Marburg 1982, ISBN 3-7708-0724-3 and ISBN 3-7708-0723-5 .
- Andreas Mehl : Hans Georg Gundel † . In: Gnomon 73 (2001), pp. 279-281.
- Peter Moraw: Prof. Dr. Hans Georg Gundel in memory. In: Communications of the Upper Hessian History Association. New series 85, 2000, pp. 1-3.
- Wilhelm Volk: Hans Georg Gundel (Alemannia Gießen fraternity, Frankonia Bonn fraternity). In: Burschenschaftliche Blätter . 97/5 (1982), p. 143.
- Literature by and about Hans Georg Gundel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Giessen University Library: Directory of the writings of Hans Georg Gundel . Giessen, 1977 and 1987, urn : nbn: de: hebis: 26-opus-37284
- Newspaper article on the farewell as curator of the papyrus collection
|SURNAME||Gundel, Hans Georg|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 20, 1912|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||to water|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 27, 1999|
|Place of death||to water|