Heinrich Deiters (pedagogue)
The son of a government councilor passed his Abitur at the secondary school in Bromberg . He studied German and history as well as education in Heidelberg, Münster / W. and Berlin until the Germanic doctorate in 1911 with Erich Schmidt . In 1912 he passed the first state examination. This was followed by legal clerkship and school service until 1924, interrupted by participation in the First World War . From 1924 to 1927 he was the head of the high school in Höchst am Main , and from 1927 to 1933 he was a senior school officer for Hessen-Nassau and Kassel . In 1933 he was fired because of his membership in the SPD . Then he worked as a private teacher and for the press until 1945. He kept in touch with the group around Adolf Grimme .
Immediately after the Soviet conquest of Berlin, he took over the Paulsen-Gymnasium in Berlin-Steglitz in May 1945 . In the same year, through the agency of Ernst Hadermann, he became head of the teacher training department in the newly established school administration of the SBZ in Berlin ( German Central Administration for National Education ). In 1946 he took over a professorship for education at the Berlin University , which he held until 1959. Together with Wilhelm Heise and Erwin Marquardt , he founded the educational library of the Volk und Wissen Verlag in 1947 , in which he co-edited the works of Adolph Diesterweg and a reading edition of Heinrich von Kleist .
In 1919 Deiters was a founding member of the DDP , and in 1920 he joined the SPD. He was a member of the Association of Republican Teachers and the Association of Resolute School Reformers (BESch). He had been a member of the SED since 1946 and was a member of the People's Chamber in the GDR from 1949 to 1958 . In Berlin he headed the regional group of the Kulturbund . In 1960 he was awarded the Patriotic Order of Merit in silver.
From 1952 to 1958 he was co-editor of the all-German journal Pädagogik .
He is buried in the cemetery of the Dorotheenstadt and Friedrichswerder communities in Berlin-Mitte.
- Education and Life: Memories of a German Educator . Ed. U. a. by Detlef Oppermann. With e. Nachw. By Walter Fabian , Cologne / Vienna 1989 ISBN 3-412-04088-6
- Heinrich Deiters on his 70th birthday. Contributions to systematic pedagogy . People and Knowledge, Berlin 1957.
- Short biography for: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 1. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 . . In:
- Staatsrat honored outstanding personalities , In: Neues Deutschland , November 12, 1960, p. 2
- Literature by and about Heinrich Deiters in the catalog of the German National Library
- Archive database of the BBF: Heinrich Deiters
- Teacher personnel sheet in Prussia: Heinrich Deiters
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German reform pedagogue and education politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 2, 1887|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Osnabrück|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 31, 1966|
|Place of death||Berlin|