After his ordination on April 28, 1957, Muszyński, who speaks excellent German, worked for some time in Wuppertal . As an Old Testament scholar, he conducted research at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem , the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg ( Qumran Research Center) and in Rome . There he received his doctorate in 1973 with a thesis on foundation, image and metaphor in the manuscripts from Qumran and, after his habilitation , taught at the Theological Academy in Warsaw , even during his time as bishop .
Henryk Muszyński was appointed titular bishop of Villa Regis and auxiliary bishop in Chełmno (Kulm) by Pope John Paul II on February 23, 1985 . He was ordained bishop on March 25, 1985 by the Primate of Poland, Cardinal Józef Glemp ; Co- consecrators were Marian Przykucki , Bishop of Chełmno, and Zygfryd Ignacy Kowalski , Auxiliary Bishop of Chełmno.
When the Polish episcopate was reorganized in March 1992, Pope John Paul II, to whom he was friendly, appointed him Archbishop of Gniezno. Before that he had been Bishop of Włocławek since 1987 . Muszyński only received the title Primas Poloniae , which is associated with the Gniezno bishopric, on December 19, 2009, as a special permit from Benedict XVI. , his predecessor as a primate, Cardinal Glemp, was allowed to keep the title until his 80th birthday.
A substantial part of his work is dedicated to the Judeo-Christian dialogue . He is chairman of the Catholic Institute for the Promotion of Judeo-Christian Dialogue in Warsaw and chairman of the Commission of Polish Bishops for Discussions with Jews .
Archbishop Muszyński is a member of the international award committee of the Adalbert Foundation .
On May 8, 2010, Benedict XVI. his resignation request submitted for reasons of age.
- 1997: Dr. Leopold Lucas Prize from the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen
- 1999: Buber Rosenzweig Medal
- 2003: Honorary doctorate from the Catholic Theological Faculty of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
- 2018: Dialogue Prize of the German-Polish Society
- Nomina dell'Arcivescovo di Gniezno e Primate della Polonia e nomina del sucessore , in: Holy See Press Office: Daily Bulletin of May 8, 2010.
- DIALOG Prize 2018 goes to Archbishop Henryk Muszyński , accessed on October 9, 2018.
|Cardinal Józef Glemp||
Archbishop of Gniezno
Bishop of Włocławek
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Muszyński, Henryk Józef|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Polish Archbishop|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 20, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kościerzyna , Poland|