Selvetti joined the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki . Due to his thick mustache, the 20-year-old is said to have looked like a 30-year-old. In the Olympic three-way battle, he won the bronze medal with 432.5 kg ahead of the German Heinz Schattner .
Four years later at the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956, he almost beat the great favorite Paul Anderson from the USA . With the same three-way performance of 500 kg, however, the 1.5 kg higher from Selvetti ensured Anderson's victory.
In the course of his career, Selvetti, who was a meat manufacturer, did not reach the 500 kg limit.
(OS = Olympic Games, WM = World Championship, S = heavyweight, over 90 kg body weight)
- 1952, bronze medal , OS in Helsinki , S, with 432.5 kg, behind John Davis , USA, 460 kg and James Bradford , USA, 437.5 kg;
- 1953, 3rd place , World Championships in Stockholm , S, with 450 (160.0, 125.0, 165.0) kg, behind Doug Hepburn , Canada , 467.5 (167.5, 135.0, 165.0) kg and Davis, 457.5 (155.0, 135.0 , 167.5) kg;
- 1955, 2nd place , PanAm Games in Mexico City , S, with 457.5 kg, behind Norbert Schemansky , USA, 472.5 kg and in front of Adriana, Curacao , 412.5 kg;
- 1956, silver medal , OS in Melbourne , S, with 500 kg, behind Paul Anderson , USA, 500 kg and in front of Alberto Pigaiani , Italy , 452.5 kg;
- 1957, 2nd place , World Cup in Tehran , S, with 485 (175.0, 140.0, 170.0) kg, behind Alexei Sidorowitsch Medvedev , USSR , 500 (165.0, 147.0, 187.5) kg and in front of Pigaiani, 452.5 (147.5, 130.0 , 175.0) kg;
- 1959, 2nd place , PanAm Games, S, with 475 kg, behind Dave Ashman , USA, 475 kg and in front of Adriana, 447.5 kg
Selvetti was multiple Argentine heavyweight champion.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||argentinian weightlifter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 31, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wilde, Buenos Aires|
|DATE OF DEATH||1992|