John B. Emerson
Both of John B. Emerson's parents have German roots. At the age of twelve, Emerson began to learn German (also to be able to understand conversations in German between his father and his mother of German descent).
In 1993 he was appointed to the Executive Office by President Bill Clinton and served as Deputy Assistant until 1997 . In this role he coordinated business conferences and organized the approval of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade of the Uruguay Round as well as the extension of the status of the People's Republic of China according to the most-favored nation principle . During his time as a consultant to Bill Clinton, he spent a few months in Germany at the invitation of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation .
Emerson was the chairman of the Los Angeles Music Center and a board member for the YMCAs in the greater Los Angeles area. As President , he was responsible for the retail banking business of the Capital Group Companies and led the Capital Guardian Trust Company. He advised the mayor of Los Angeles on trade issues and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations .
Since August 2013 Emerson lived with his family in Berlin . On August 26, 2013, he was accredited as the United States Ambassador to Germany and successor to Philip D. Murphy . Emerson took office as ambassador at a time when relations between Germany and the United States were tense due to the surveillance and espionage affair. For example, on August 28, 2013 , the Federal Chancellery and the Federal Ministry of the Interior had a Federal Police helicopter fly at low altitude over the grounds of the US Consulate General in Frankfurt in order to collect photographic evidence for the suspicion that there was an American eavesdropping station there. Emerson then submitted a protest note to the Foreign Office .
Emerson urged the decision of all NATO members to increase their defense spending.
On January 20, 2017, the new US President Donald Trump dismissed him and all other US ambassadors appointed by his predecessor Barack Obama.
Emerson has been chairman of the American Council on Germany since January 2018 .
Emerson is married to Kimberly Marteau Emerson and has three daughters. His eldest daughter, Jacqueline Emerson, is an actress.
- John B. Emerson , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 46/2013 of November 12, 2013, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- CV on the website of the US Embassy in Germany
- New US ambassador for Germany. RP Online, June 15, 2013, accessed August 26, 2013 .
- John Emerson comes to the Spree from the Pacific. Tagesspiegel, July 5, 2013, accessed August 26, 2013 .
- An investment expert for the Berlin US embassy . In: Handelsblatt . August 25, 2013.
- President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts. The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, June 14, 2013, accessed June 29, 2013 .
- There are no US ambassadors because Donald Trump just fired them all . In: The Independent . January 20, 2017 ( independent.co.uk [accessed January 21, 2017]).
- US Ambassador has spoken German since childhood, morgenpost.de, August 24, 2013
- Christoph von Marschall: John B. Emerson - An investment banker for Berlin. Der Tagesspiegel, June 15, 2013, accessed on June 29, 2013 .
- Mr. John B. Emerson & Ms. Kimberly Marteau Emerson. Pacific Council on International Policy, June 28, 2013, archived from the original on November 1, 2013 ; Retrieved June 29, 2013 .
- Rheinische Post of August 16, page 2
- Leadership YMCA LA ( Memento from July 28, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) YMCA , online, (English)
- President Obama announces more key-administration posts White House , online, (English)
- US Ambassador Emerson: A Wall Street Banker for Berlin , Christoph von Marschall, zeit.de of June 16, 2013, accessed on August 13, 2013
- The Federal President's calendar for August 26, 2013
- Pofalla peeks back: Head of the Chancellery has the US consulate spied on focus.de, September 8, 2013
- Scouting attack in low flight focus.de, September 9, 2013
- Video interview from February 2016
- Donald Trump has fired all foreign US ambassadors with nobody to replace them The Independent, January 20, 2017
- Wife of the US Ambassador: How Kimberley Emerson is promoting her America in Berlin Tagesspiegel , online
|Philip D. Murphy||
US Ambassador to Germany
July 6, 2013 to January 20, 2017
|SURNAME||Emerson, John B.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Emerson, John Bonnell (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American diplomat and investment banker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 11, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Chicago , Illinois , United States|