Justin Meram at the 2015 Asian Championship
|Surname||Justin David Meram|
|birthday||4th December 1988|
|place of birth||Macomb County , United States|
|Years||station||Games (goals) 1|
|2011-2017||Columbus crew||188 (37)|
|2017-2018||Orlando City||17 (1)|
|2018-2019||Columbus crew||18 (1)|
|2019–||Atlanta United||8 (3)|
|Years||selection||Games (goals) 2|
1 Only league games are given.
Status: July 22, 2019
2 As of March 21, 2019
Meram played for both his Eisenhower High School team and two years at Yavapai College in Arizona . In 2009 he moved to the University of Michigan , where he played for the Michigan Wolverfines. He finished his college career in 2010 after 24 goals and 14 assists in 41 games.
As a club player
On January 14, 2011 he joined Columbus Crew in the course of the MLS SuperDraft 2011, where he made his debut on February 22, 2011 in the first leg of the quarter-finals of the CONCACAF Champions League between Columbus and Real Salt Lake . On May 28, 2011 he made his debut in the 3: 3 against Chivas USA in the MLS.
As a national player
Justin Meram is the son of Chaldean Christians from the village of Tel Keppe in the province of Ninawa . His father immigrated to the United States in 1967 and his mother in 1975. This also gave him the right to Iraqi citizenship. In October 2014 he was first issued with an Iraqi ID and then a passport, which allowed him to play for the selection of Iraq.
In October 2014, he was also called up for a friendly against Yemen , but he was not given a release from his club due to the play-offs in the MLS. In November he was finally nominated for the Golf Cup in Saudi Arabia. He became the first player from the MLS to play for Iraq. During the preliminary round match against Kuwait on November 14, 2014, he made his debut for the national team.
In December 2014 he was nominated for the 2015 Asia Cup in Australia. He played his first competitive game for Iraq in the preliminary round win against the Jordanian selection on January 12, 2015.
- AnnArbor.com Staff: Michigan's Justin Meram drafted by the MLS 'Columbus Crew , January 13, 2011 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- Joe Lago: Justin Meram scores the fastest goal in MLS Cup playoff history of November 23, 2015 (accessed November 23, 2015).
- Hassanin Mubarak: Justin Meram: The most famous Justin in Iraq in iraqsport.wordpress from December 11, 2014 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- Adam Jardy: Soccer: Crew's Justin Meram called up to Iraqi national team , in The Columbus Dispatch of November 10, 2014 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- Kyle McCarthy: Columbus forward Justin Meram named to Iraq squad for Gulf Cup , Fox Sports, November 10, 2014 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- Ryan Schwepfinger: Meram earns first cap in start for Iraq , TheCrew.com of November 14, 2014 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- MLSsoccer staff: Columbus Crew SC winger Justin Meram named to Iraq roster ahead of 2015 Asian Cup , mlssoccer.com from December 17, 2014 (accessed January 24, 2015).
- MLSsoccer staff: Columbus Crew SC's Justin Meram comes off bench to help Iraq beat Jordan in Asian Cup , mlssoccer.com from January 12, 2015 (accessed January 24, 2015).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hikmat Aziz, Justin (Iraqi name); Meram, Justin David (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Iraqi soccer player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th December 1988|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Macomb County , Michigan, United States|