The Köchel catalog is a catalog raisonné of the compositions of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart . It was first published in 1862 by Ludwig von Köchel under the title Chronological-thematic directory of all of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's sound works. In addition to the information about the lost, started, transferred, dubious and superseded compositions of the same published.
The first approaches to cataloging come from Mozart's father Leopold , who in 1768 compiled a directory / everything that this 12-year-old boy has been composing since / his 7th year and can be shown in original / can be shown , as well as by Mozart himself, who from February 1784 a handwritten directory of all mine Works , which, however, is incomplete and does not include many earlier compositions as well as occasional works and fragments. Important preparatory work comes from Franz Gleißner and Heinrich Henkel , who cataloged the estate in the publisher's archive on behalf of the music publisher Johann Anton André (published in 1841). But it was Ludwig von Köchel who first attempted to compile a complete directory. He collected many facts about Mozart and numbered his works in chronological order. The first edition of the directory appeared in 1862, since then it has been brought up to date by well-known musicologists. The currently available 8th edition of the Köchel Directory is the second reprint of the 6th edition from 1964.
The abbreviation for Köchelverzeichnis is KV (or K in English). For example, the famous Little Night Music is called KV 525 . The Köchel Directory contains a total of 626 numbered works by Mozart; there are also a number of addenda.
From the 3rd edition (1937, by Alfred Einstein ) the numbers of a number of works were changed; the new numbers have been arranged chronologically and often contain an additional lowercase letter (e.g. " Sinfonia concertante for violin and viola in E flat major ", originally KV 364 - now KV 320d ). The 6th edition brought a particularly large number of changes (1964, by Franz Giegling , Gerd Sievers and Alexander Weinmann ). With these changes, new knowledge about the chronology of the creation of the work and the connection between individual works were taken into account. Outside of science, these changes have not caught on. Music publishers, concert promoters, popular handbook authors, and the music industry still use Köchel's original numbering. Often both numbers are given, for example in the form KV 110 (KV 6 75b) .
In 1993 the Breitkopf & Härtel publishing house commissioned a team of experts led by the American musicologist Neal Zaslaw to develop a new edition of the Köchel directory. The manuscript of the work has been completed and will appear in book form in German, but a publication date is not yet known.
|Edition||year||editor||publishing company||annotation||Further editions|
|1.||1862||Ludwig von Köchel||Breitkopf & Härtel, Leipzig||Microfilm Edition: Edwards, Ann Arbor ;
Photomechanical reprint: Olms, Hildesheim 2006
|2.||1905||Paul von Waldersee||Breitkopf & Härtel, Leipzig||Microfiche edition: Munich, Saur [o. J.]|
|3.||1937||Alfred Einstein||Breitkopf & Härtel, Leipzig|
|4th||1958||Alfred Einstein||Breitkopf & Härtel VEB, Leipzig||unchanged new edition|
|5.||1961||Alfred Einstein||Breitkopf & Härtel VEB, Leipzig||unchanged new edition||further editions at Breitkopf & Härtel VEB Leipzig:
1969, 1975, 1980, 1984, 1989
|6th||1964||Franz Giegling , Gerd Sievers , Alexander Weinmann||Breitkopf & Härtel, Wiesbaden|
|7th||1965||Franz Giegling, Gerd Sievers, Alexander Weinmann||Breitkopf & Härtel, Wiesbaden||unchanged new edition|
|8th.||1983||Franz Giegling, Gerd Sievers, Alexander Weinmann||Breitkopf & Härtel, Wiesbaden||unchanged new edition||Reprinted in 1999|
- Ludwig Ritter von Köchel: Chronological-thematic directory of all of Wolfgang Amade Mozart's music works. In addition to an indication of the lost, started, transferred, dubious and superseded compositions of the same. Breitkopf & Härtel.
- 1st edition, Leipzig 1862, XVIII, 551 S. ( archive.org or Google book in the Google book search); Reprint: Olms, Hildesheim 2006, ISBN 978-3-487-13130-6 .
- 2nd edition, edited and supplemented, edited by Paul Graf von Waldersee, Leipzig 1905 ( archive.org ).
- 3rd edition, Leipzig 1937, edited by Alfred Einstein , XLIX, 984 p .; Reprinted in 1989.
- 3rd edition, Ann Arbor 1947, edited by Alfred Einstein, XLIX, 1052 p. Contains supplement "Corrections and Additions", first published in: Music Review (1940-45).
- 6th edition, Wiesbaden 1964, edited by Franz Giegling, Alexander Weinmann and Gerd Sievers, CXLIII, 1024 pp.
- 8th edition, Wiesbaden 1983, reprint of the 6th edition, ISBN 3-7651-0019-6 .
Hellmuth von Hase : Little Köchel. Chronological and systematic index of all musical works by Wolfgang Amadé Mozart.
- Compiled on the basis of the 3rd edition edited by Alfred Einstein. Breitkopf & Härtel, Wiesbaden 1951.
- Compiled on the basis of the 6th, by Franz Giegling [u. a.] edited edition Breitkopf & Härtel, Wiesbaden 1965, ISBN 3-7651-0020-X .
- List of symphonies by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- List of Mozart's piano concertos
- List of Mozart's piano music works
- List of chamber music works by Mozart without piano
- List of chamber music works by Mozart with piano
- List of church music works by Mozart
- New Mozart edition
- Chronological-thematic directory of Köchel
- Catalog of works KV (French)
- The Mozart Project - works and descriptions (English)
- Index of all my works : sheet music and audio files in the International Music Score Library Project
- Musicologist is revising the Koechel catalog of Mozart's works ( Memento of November 3, 1999 in the Internet Archive ) Website d. Cornell University, accessed June 23, 2017
- Neal Zaslaw :: The new cooker. January 27, 1997, archived from the original on July 17, 2011 ; Retrieved December 6, 2011 .
- The "Köchel" of the 21st century ( Memento of the original from May 18, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Mozarteum Foundation August 30, 2011, accessed May 10, 2015.
- Köchel directory revised. APA report from August 31, 2011, online at studium.at, accessed on December 6, 2011.
- Wolfram Goertz: The new, old Köchel directory . In: RP Online , September 6, 2011, accessed March 15, 2020.