Ludwig von Köchel
Ludwig Alois Friedrich Ritter von Köchel (born January 14, 1800 in Stein an der Donau , Lower Austria ; † June 3, 1877 in Vienna ) was an Austrian lawyer, historian and natural scientist . He became known as the author of the Köchel Directory .
Köchel was promoted to Dr. jur. doctorate and worked from 1827 to 1842 as the educator of the four sons of Archduke Charles . Köchel was appointed imperial councilor in 1832, was ennobled as a Knight of Köchel by being awarded the Knight's Cross of the Order of Leopold in 1842 and was given a generous compensation. From 1850 to 1852 he worked as a school councilor in Salzburg and then returned to Vienna. He was financially secure so that from now on he could devote himself entirely to his private inclinations.
His botanical and mineralogical studies in North Africa, the Iberian Peninsula, the British Isles, the North Cape and in Russia impressed contemporary experts. He bequeathed a large part of his mineral collection to the Piaristengymnasium Krems (where it is still used for teaching purposes today), in which he had also been a student in the past. His books on the history of music in Vienna (a history of the court orchestra and the biography of the composer and music theorist Johann Joseph Fux from 1872) are among the most important studies of the second half of the 19th century. He was an excellent musician (member of the Mozarteum in Salzburg) and also wrote poetry.
In the same year his “Chronological-thematic directory of all sound works by Wolfgang Amadé Mozart ” (with an addendum 1889) was published after the forerunner “ On the Extent of WA Mozart's Musical Production ” (1862 ). He also grouped Mozart's works in 24 categories; these were used in the first complete edition (from 1876 onwards) by Breitkopf & Härtel . Köchel owes the inspiration for his life's work to the doctor and writer Franz Lorenz , who also came from Stein an der Donau .
- Title of "imperial council"
- Award of the Knight's Cross of the Order of Leopold
- Honorary membership of the Society of Friends of Music in Vienna
The following were named after Ludwig von Köchel:
- the Köchelgasse in Vienna-Hietzing (in 1912)
- a place not far from his birthplace in Stein an der Donau
- the music school of the city of Krems an der Donau
- the Ludwig Ritter von Köchel Society
- Mozart. At his secular celebration in 1856. Canzonen. Zaunrith, Salzburg 1856. * Geological overview map of the Duchy of Salzburg based on the photographs of the kk geolog. Reichsanstalt . Reiffenstein & Rösch, Vienna 1859.
- The minerals of the Duchy of Salzburg. With an overview of the geological conditions and a map. Gerold, Vienna 1859. 
- Chronological-thematic index of all of Wolfgang Amade Mozart's music works: together with details of the lost, unfinished, transferred, dubious and superseded compositions of the same . Leipzig 1862.
- The maintenance of music at the Austrian court from the end of the 15th to the middle of the 18th century. Pichler, Vienna 1866.
- The Imperial Court Music Band in Vienna from 1543 to 1867: based on documented research . Beck, Vienna 1869.
- Poems . Fromme, Vienna 1872.
- Johann Josef Fux, court composer and court conductor of the emperors Leopold I, Josef I, and Karl VI. from 1698-1740. Hölder, Vienna 1872.
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Köchel, Ludwig Ritter von . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 12th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1864, pp. 203–205 ( digitized version ).
- Carl Ferdinand Pohl: Köchel, Ludwig Ritter v. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 16, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1882, pp. 405-407.
- Géza Rech: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 12, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1980, ISBN 3-428-00193-1 , p. 291 ( ). In:
- Antonicek: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 4, Publishing House of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1969, p. 27 f. (Direct links on , ). In:
- Hans Frühwirth: Your love was Krems , Krems 1997, ISBN 3-901664-01-9 .
- Literature by and about Ludwig von Köchel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Ludwig von Köchel in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Entry on Ludwig von Köchel in the database of the state's memory of the history of Lower Austria ( Museum Niederösterreich )
- Honorary grave of Ludwig von Köchel at the Vienna Central Cemetery
- Ludwig Ritter von Köchel Society
|SURNAME||Köchel, Ludwig von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Köchel, Ludwig Alois Friedrich Ritter von (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian lawyer, historian and natural scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 14, 1800|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stein an der Donau , Lower Austria|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 3, 1877|
|Place of death||Vienna|