Karl Andresen attended the Christianeum in Altona until 1833 and then studied philosophy at the University of Kiel . From 1839 to 1852 he held a position as a collaborator and teacher at his former school, the Christianeum. After his release at his own request, he worked as a private tutor in various places.
From 1858 to 1865 Andresen accepted a position as senior teacher and prorector in Mülheim an der Ruhr . He then moved to Bonn, where he qualified as a private lecturer in 1870 and was appointed associate professor in 1874.
Karl Andresen died a week before his 78th birthday in Bonn and found his final resting place there.
- About German orthography . Kunze Verlag, Mainz 1855.
- Word register for German orthography. In addition to basic preliminary remarks . 2nd edition Kunze Verlag, Mainz 1869 (EA Mainz 1856)
- The German family names . Mülheim 1862 (Realschule program).
- Register for J. Grimm's German grammar. Goettingen 1865.
- About J. Grimm's orthography (Documenta linguistica). Olms, Hildesheim 1971 (reprint of the Göttingen edition 1867).
- About the language of J. Grimms. Sendet Reprint, Schaan 1981, ISBN 3-50019710-8 (reprint of the Leipzig 1869 edition).
- The old German personal names in their development and appearance as today's gender names. Sendet, Vaduz 1983 (reprint of the Mainz edition 1873)
- About German folk etymology . 7th edition. Reisland-Verlag, Leipzig 1919. The first edition appeared in Heilbronn in 1876 ( link to the digitized version )
- Use of language and literacy in German. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1967 (reprint of the Leipzig edition 1923).
- Competitions in the explanation of the German gender names. Henninger Verlag, Heilbronn 1883.
- Hugo Andresen: Sheets in memory of Karl Gustav Andresen, died in Bonn on May 2, 1891 . Georgi, Bonn 1891.
- Otto Basler: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 1, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1953, ISBN 3-428-00182-6 , p. 286 ( ). In:
- Kai D. Sievers: Andresen, Karl Gustav . In: Biographical Lexicon for Schleswig-Holstein and Lübeck , Vol. 2 . Wachholtz, Neumünster 1971, pp. 39-40, ISBN 3-529-02642-5 .
- Archive of the Christianeum; see also: Bernd Elsner: The register of the Christianeum in Altona 1738 - 1850 . Contributions to the history of Hamburg. Published by the Association for Hamburg History, Volume 54; Hamburg 1998; Matriculation number 973
- Archive of the Christianeum
- Literature by and about Karl Andresen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Karl Andresen in the German Digital Library
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Andresen, Karl Gustav|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Germanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 1, 1813|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Uetersen|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 25, 1891|
|Place of death||Bonn|