Klaus-Dieter Hübner (born August 31, 1951 - † December 20, 2017 ) was a German politician of the FDP . He was the mayor of the city of Guben for many years . A broad public debate arose about his re-election in 2016 after a conviction for corruption.
Klaus-Dieter Hübner grew up in the GDR . During his basic military service from June 1971 to October 1972 he worked as an unofficial employee for the Ministry of State Security . According to his commanding officer, Hübner was "convinced of the correctness of the cooperation with the MfS" and was praised, among other things, for "good performance in preventing desertions". According to his own statements, Hübner hoped that the collaboration would give him access to a course of study and, after beginning loyal to the line, later turned away from the system. He was a qualified real estate manager.
Hübner died on December 20, 2017 after a long illness.
First term and re-election in 2009
On November 11, 2001, Hübner was elected mayor of Guben for the first time with 50.6% of the votes (inauguration: February 1, 2002). In 2009, Huebner received 64.5% of the votes in the mayoral election and prevailed against Klaus-Dieter Fuhrmann (CDU).
Several major construction projects in the region fell during Hübner's term of office. Empty prefabricated buildings were demolished, a new town hall built, a music school and the library; in 2006 Gunther von Hagens opened a plastinarium in Guben. Hübner was very popular (?) As a "doer" with the Guben population, but Guben's debt rose from around two million euros at the beginning of his first term to almost 30 million euros when he was suspended. In 2005, Hübner sued its own city council because he considered a resolution that only city sales resolutions, rental and lease contracts with a volume of less than 5000 euros can be concluded directly by the mayor without the consent of the city council. A dispute developed between the two cities over a Neisse bridge between Guben and the Polish city of Gubin , which was built in 2007 because, according to the Polish opinion, there was no building permit there.
Corruption affair and suspension
Starting in mid-2010, based on two criminal charges and the findings of a tax authority, an investigation was made against Huebner for corruption and bribery. From 2005 to 2012 he is said to have campaigned as mayor for the awarding of municipal contracts to a horticultural company he knew. In return, the company took over the maintenance of Hübner's weekend property free of charge and provided services worth more than 30,000 euros. In six cases, Hübner is also said to have paid his own lawyer fees from the city coffers, used the company garage free of charge and thereby caused damage of around 9,000 euros. In 2012, during a bribery lawsuit against a Lusatian waste disposal company, it became known that Huebner had received wine packages and gift baskets from the company's management. The managing director was fined, but the court did not consider allegations of bribery against Huebner to be proven. At the beginning of 2012, Hübner was given leave of absence; on February 16, 2014, the trial against Hübner began before the Cottbus regional court . In February 2015, Hübner was sentenced to 18 months in prison on probation for reasons including bribery and infidelity. At the beginning of 2016, the judgment due to bribery, acceptance of benefits, breach of trust and aiding and abetting in submitting a false affidavit became legally binding through the confirmation of the Federal Court of Justice . Hübner was dismissed from the civil service and lost all pension and pension rights. In accordance with the municipal electoral law of the state of Brandenburg, Hübner was admitted as a candidate for the new election of the Guben mayor's office in December 2015.
Re-election 2016 and consequences
In the mayoral election on July 17, 2016, Hübner was re-elected mayor of Guben with 57.8% of the valid votes in the runoff election against Kerstin Nedoma. Immediately after acceptance of the election, Hübner was suspended when he took office in the town hall and banned from entering the building . District Administrator Harald Altekrüger announced the initiation of disciplinary proceedings against Hübner. Huebner had previously had the district administrator forbidden from disseminating a corresponding announcement before the election. Due to the re-election of Huebner, the interior committee of the Brandenburg state parliament is discussing a change in the law by which people who have been sentenced to more than one year imprisonment for a criminal offense will be excluded as candidates for mayors and district administrators for five years. The city council of Guben discussed several objections against the validity of the mayoral election on November 2, 2016, but decided in favor of the validity of the election.
Klaus-Dieter Hübner died 18 months after his re-election in December 2017.
- Stasi-IM - but that was a long time ago. In: Berliner Kurier , February 19, 2002
- Stasi past confirmed by Mayor Huebner. In: Lausitzer Rundschau . March 30, 2012.
- Gubens Mayor Klaus-Dieter Huebner died. In: Lausitzer Rundschau . 20th December 2017.
- Guben suspended Mayor Hübner died. rbb 24 , December 20, 2017.
- Preliminary results of the mayoral elections. In: Der Tagesspiegel . November 12, 2001
- The fight for the Guben town hall. Retrieved January 1, 2018 .
- The Mayor: Hardly elected, already suspended. In: Tagesspiegel , August 1, 2016
- Why did a convicted felon become mayor again? In: Berliner Zeitung . , August 2, 2016.
- Guben's mayor does not fit the resolutions: Mayor sued city parliament. In: Berliner Zeitung. May 13, 2005.
- The bridge that divides. In: The daily newspaper. August 26, 2008.
- corruption process against the Guben mayor begins. In: Lausitzer Rundschau. February 14, 2014.
- Bribery with the lawnmower. In: Der Tagesspiegel. 19th February 2015.
- Result of the mayoral election on July 17, 2016.
- circuit initiates procedures against Guben mayor Hübner. ( Memento of the original from October 18, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: rbb online , August 2, 2016.
- Guben's ex-mayor successfully sued the district administrator. ( Memento of the original from October 18, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: rbb online , May 31, 2016.
- Local electoral law to be changed after the Hübner election. In: Berliner Morgenpost. 29th September 2016.
- Guben Mayor Huebner temporarily suspended. ( Memento of the original from October 18, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: rbb online , October 17, 2016.
- Märkische Allgemeine, Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany: Previously convicted mayor: election declared valid. Retrieved January 1, 2018 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Huebner, Klaus Dieter|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (FDP)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 31, 1951|
|DATE OF DEATH||20th December 2017|