Ludwig von Struve
Gustav Wilhelm Ludwig Struve (born October 20 . Jul / 1. November 1858 greg. In Pulkovo in St. Petersburg , Russian Empire , † 4. November 1920 in Sevastopol ) was a Baltic German mathematician and astronomer .
Struve was the son of the astronomer Otto Wilhelm von Struve and brother of the astronomer Hermann von Struve . From 1876 to 1880 he studied mathematics and astronomy at the University of Dorpat (now Tartu in Estonia) . Then he worked at the Dorpat observatory .
From 1883 to 1885 Struve studied in Berlin, Milan and Leipzig. He completed his studies in Dorpat in 1886. The following year he also did his doctorate there. While he continued to work at the local observatory, he prepared his habilitation.
In 1894 he accepted a position as associate professor for astronomy and geodesy at the University of Kharkiv in the Ukraine and took over the management of the observatory there. In 1897 he was appointed full professor. His main work was the investigation of the earthly precession movement .
His son, the future astronomer Otto von Struve , was born in Kharkov .
In 1919 he took a chair at the Tauris University in Simferopol .
Ludwig von Struve died on November 4, 1920 at the age of 62 in Sevastopol. He and his son were on the run from the red troops.
- Determination of the constant of the precession of the solar system's own movement . - St. Petersburg: Eggers, 1887
- Results from the comparisons of Procyon with neighboring stars made in Pulkowa . - St. Petersburg: Eggers, 1883
- About the precession and the sun's own movement . - Kharkov: self-published, 1901
- Publications by L. Struve in the Astrophysics Data System
- Article Ludwig von Struve in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (BSE) , 3rd edition 1969–1978 (Russian)http: //vorlage_gse.test/1%3D106890~2a%3D~2b%3DLudwig%20von%20Struve
- Album academicum of the Imperial University of Dorpat , Dorpat 1889
- L. Courvoisier: notification of the death of Ludwig Struve. Astronomische Nachrichten, Vol. 212 (1921), p. 351
- EB Frost: A Family of Astronomers: Hermann Struve, 1854-1920; Ludwig Struve, 1858-1920. Popular Astronomy, vol. 29 (1921), pp. 536-541
- Baltic Historical Commission (ed.): Entry on Ludwig von Struve. In: BBLD - Baltic Biographical Lexicon digital
|SURNAME||Struve, Ludwig von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Struve, Gustav Wilhelm Ludwig von (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German-Baltic mathematician and astronomer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1858|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pulkowo near Saint Petersburg , Russian Empire|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 4, 1920|
|Place of death||Sevastopol|