Manuel de Araújo Porto-alegre
Manuel José de Araújo Porto-alegre (born November 2, 1806 in Rio Pardo in the state of Rio Grande do Sul , Brazil; † December 29, 1879 in Lisbon , Portugal ), since 1874 Baron of Santo Ângelo, was a Brazilian poet, painter, Professor of history painting , architect and diplomat.
Porto-alegre attended the art academy in Rio de Janeiro from 1826 , where he trained as a painter and architect under Professor Jean-Baptiste Debret's direction, went to Paris for further studies in 1831 , stayed in Italy from 1834-35 and returned to the news of Outbreak of the Brazilian Revolution in 1837 back to Rio de Janeiro.
Here he soon received a professorship at the art academy , later one at the military school and developed various journalistic activities in the interests of art and science . Porto-alegre has contributed to all of the institutions that have been donated in Brazil for artistic and scientific purposes since 1837.
So he decorated the imperial palace in Petrópolis in 1840 , he designed the plans for the Church of Santa Ana and the bank in Rio de Janeiro; which was considered the most beautiful building in town at the time, and paid no less attention to the theater , which he sought to give a national character. He himself wrote a number of pieces (e.g. O espiao de Bonaparte , O sapateiro politicão, etc.), which met with approval , but T. remained unprinted.
Porto-alegre lived as the Brazilian Consul General in Prussia from 1859-65 , after which he returned to Brazil.
- Araujo Porto Alēgre . In: Meyers Konversations-Lexikon . 4th edition. Volume 1, Verlag des Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig / Vienna 1885–1892, p. 744.
Many of his poems have appeared in magazines. His main works are the epic
- Colombo (history of the discovery of America)
- Brasilianas (cycle of poems marked by descriptions of nature), of which in separate editions:
- A destruição das florestas (Rio de Janeiro 1845) and
- O corcovado (Rio de Janeiro 1847)
- Literature by and about Manuel de Araújo Porto-alegre in the catalog of the Ibero-American Institute of Prussian Cultural Heritage, Berlin
- Manuel de Araújo Porto-Alegre in Enciclopédia Itaú Cultural (Portuguese)
|SURNAME||Araújo Porto-alegre, Manuel de|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Araujo Porto-Alegre, Manoel de; Araújo Porto-alegre, Manuel José de; Araújo Porto-alegre, Manuel José de; Araújo, Manuel José de|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Brazilian poet|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 2, 1806|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rio Pardo , Rio Grande do Sul|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 29, 1879|
|Place of death||Lisbon|