Military schools are educational establishments that aim to provide preliminary training for professional soldiers (pre-schools) and further training for military personnel in their profession (vocational and technical schools). NCOs and officers in particular receive further training .
Examples of modern-type military schools can be found in the article Military Academy .
Military schools used to be divided into three categories:
- Preschools: They trained the young (and in some cases also child) schoolchildren to enter a military career.
- Vocational schools: They enabled the students who already belonged to the military to enter the lower military career either as NCOs or as officers in the higher military career.
- Technical schools: They aimed to train NCOs and officers in certain branches of their profession.
The schools mentioned under 3 were either special schools for certain technical special facilities or for the higher overall education of officers who were in preferred positions, e.g. B. at the General Staff , should serve. That is why these schools were also called General Staff Schools .
However, the boundaries between the schools mentioned were not always sharply drawn.
Passed in the German Reich :
- As preschools
- As vocational schools
- As technical schools
- For the Navy
In the Habsburg Dual Monarchy existed:
- than preschools
- as officer schools
- as technical schools
- kuk officer daughter education institute
In France passed:
- École Militaire (Paris) , still exists today
- École militaire d'Infanterie
- École d'application de cavalerie ( Saumur )
- École royale du génie de Mézières ( Charleville-Mézières )
- École de l'artillerie et de la génie ( Versailles )
- École speciale militaire
- École polytechnique in Paris
- Ecole supérieure de guerre
- Ecole d'application de l'artillerie et du génie ( Fontainebleau )
- the French Naval School near Brest
In Great Britain passed:
- Royal Military Academy Sandhurst , still exists today
- Artillery College ( Woolwih )
- School of Military Engineering ( Chatham )
- Royal Navy College ( Greenwich )
- Naval Academy in Portsmouth
- Naval School at Chiselhurst