Marcus Junkelmann (born October 3, 1949 in Munich ) is a German historian and experimental archaeologist .
Marcus Junkelmann grew up in Lustheim Castle near Oberschleißheim and graduated from the Dom-Gymnasium Freising in 1969 . From 1971 he studied Ancient History , Medieval History and New History at the University of Munich , where he started his thesis “Waterloo. An investigation into the history of war ”passed the master’s examination and received his doctorate as a general under Hans Schmidt in 1979 with a thesis on the subject of Elector Max Emanuel of Bavaria . He then worked on the exhibition “ Wittelsbach and Bavaria” (1980), assistant at the chair for history didactics in Munich and worked at the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt .
Since 1984 Junkelmann has made a name for himself as a freelance military historian and experimental archaeologist at Ratzenhofen Castle. Together with other interested parties, he reconstructed the weapons and equipment of the Roman legionaries and tested them in practical experiments. With actions such as the crossing of the Alps on the occasion of the 2000th anniversary of Augsburg in 1985 with the methods and equipment of the Roman infantry, he became known nationwide, television documentaries and videos were produced about it. Junkelmann evaluated his experiments in various books on this subject. From 1988 Junkelmann also dealt with the Roman cavalry and also experimented with reconstructed antique equipment and riding styles during his Limes rides between the North Sea and the Danube.
Junkelmann has reconstructed and tested numerous pieces of equipment used by Roman infantry and cavalry as well as gladiators for museums such as the Limes Museum in Aalen , the Westphalian Roman Museum in Haltern , the Xanten Archaeological Park , the Provinciaal Museum Nijmegen and the Carnuntum Archeology Park . He lectures and organizes practical demonstrations for his employees in museums, archaeological parks, universities and schools. Junkelmann now lives as a freelance historian and writer near Mainburg in Lower Bavaria.
- 1997 Ceram Prize of the Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn for the best archaeological non-fiction book (for " Panis militaris ")
- 2006 “Favorite Book” award from the Austrian book trade in the youth non-fiction category (for “ What is what: Gladiators ”)
- 2011 Rainer Christlein Medal of the Society for Archeology in Bavaria
- 2012 Bavarian Order of Merit
- Elector Max Emanuel of Bavaria as general , Herbert Utz Verlag, Munich 2000 ISBN 3-89675-731-8 (= dissertation from 1979)
- Napoleon and Bavaria. From the beginnings of the kingdom , Friedrich Pustet, Regensburg 1984 ISBN 3-7917-0929-1
The legions of Augustus. The Roman soldier in an archaeological experiment , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1986 ( Kulturgeschichte der Antiken Welt , Vol. 33) ISBN 3-8053-0886-8
- 15th thoroughly revised and expanded edition, Herbert Utz Verlag, Munich 2015 ISBN 978-3-8316-4418-6
- Dawn on the Potomac: the American Civil War , Swiss publishing house, Zurich 1987 ISBN 3-7263-6520-6
- Muli Mariani. March in Roman legionnaires' armor across the Alps , series of publications by the Limes Museum Aalen 36, Stuttgart 1985
- The riders of Rome. Part 1: Journey, Hunt, Triumph and Circus Race , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1990 ( Cultural History of the Ancient World , Vol. 45) ISBN 3-8053-1006-4 (4th edition 2008)
- The riders of Rome. Part 2: The military operation , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1991 (cultural history of the ancient world, vol. 49) ISBN 3-8053-1139-7 (4th edition 2008)
- The riders of Rome. Part 3: Accessories, riding style, armament , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1992 (cultural history of the ancient world, vol. 53) ISBN 3-8053-1288-1 (4th edition 2008)
- The American Civil War 1861-1865 , Weltbild-Verlag, Augsburg 1992 ISBN 3-89350-355-2
- After the Storm: The Dawn of a Nation: The USA after the Civil War , Schweizer Verlagshaus, Zurich 1992, ISBN 3-7263-6585-0
- The conquest of the west. The USA after the Civil War 1865–1890 , Weltbild-Verlag, Augsburg 1993 ISBN 3-89350-561-X
- Gustav Adolf (1594–1632): Sweden's rise to a great power , Friedrich Pustet, Regensburg, 1993 ISBN 3-7917-1397-3
- Dollinger - Das Buch zum Spiel , Verlag der Mittelbayerische Zeitung, Regensburg, 1995
- Horsemen like statues made of ore , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1996 ( Zabern's illustrated books on archeology / ancient world , special volume) ISBN 3-8053-1821-9
- Panis militaris. The nutrition of the Roman soldier or the basic material of power , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1997 (cultural history of the ancient world, vol. 75) ISBN 3-8053-2332-8
- Roman helmets (with contributions by John Pollini and Günther E. Thüry , edited by Hermann Born ), Axel Guttmann Collection, Verlag Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2000 ISBN 3-8053-1670-4
- Roman combat and tournament armor , Axel Guttmann Collection (together with Hermann Born), Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1997 ISBN 3-8053-1668-2
- Arte & Marte Theatrum Belli. The battle near Höchstädt 1704 and the castles of Schleissheim and Blenheim , Verlag Traugott Bautz, Herzberg 2000, ISBN 3-88309-083-2 .
- From the cornucopia of Rome. 34 original recipes from Roman cuisine , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2000 ISBN 3-8053-2686-6 (3rd edition 2007)
- Playing with death. How Rome's gladiators fought , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2000 ( Zabern's illustrated books on archeology ) ISBN 3-8053-2563-0
- Hollywood's dream of Rome. “Gladiator” and the tradition of the monumental film , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2004 (cultural history of the ancient world, vol. 94) ISBN 3-8053-2905-9
- The most horrific spectaculum. The Battle of Höchstädt 1704 . Booklets on Bavarian History and Culture Vol. 30, ed. from the House of Bavarian History 2004, ISBN 3-927233-90-0
- What is what . Gladiators. Fighters of the arena (for young people), Tessloff Verlag, Nuremberg 2005 ISBN 3-7886-0422-0 (3rd edition 2012, translated into 8 languages)
- Roman Cavalry - Equites Alae. The combat equipment of the Roman horsemen in the 1st and 2nd centuries AD. , Series of publications by the Limes Museum Aalen 42, Stuttgart 1989.
- "You taught my hands war." Tilly - saint or war criminal ?, accompanying publication to the exhibition of the same name by the historical association Alt-Tilly and the Bavarian Army Museum , Altötting 2007 ISBN 978-3-87245-036-4 .
- Gladiators. Playing with death , Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 2008 ISBN 978-3-8053-3797-7 .
- The boldest campaign. Napoleon against Archduke Carl, 19. – 24. April 1809. Teugn and Hausen - Abensberg - Landshut - Eggmühl - Regensburg , Bauer-Verlag, Schierling 2009 ISBN 978-3-9813080-0-6 .
- Tour around the Battle of Eggmühl, April 22, 1809 , Schierling market, Schierling 2009 (also in French and English translation)
- Tilly. The Catholic General , Friedrich Pustet, Regensburg 2011 ISBN 978-3-7917-2354-9 .
- Pictures from the German past. The German Soldier (Bayerischer Rundfunk, 1986 - numerous repetitions)
- The Roman treasure of Sorviodurum. The Gäubodenmuseum Straubing (State Office for Non-State Museums / Bavarian Radio, 1994)
- Dishes with a story. Roman cuisine in old Bavaria . Film by Werner Teufl and Dr. Marcus Junkelmann (Bavarian TV, 2000 - also as video)
- Literature by and about Marcus Junkelmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Marcus Junkelmann catmedien.de, as of 2009
- Marcus Junkelmann: Biographies and publications , plus a laudation , website by Wilfried Stroh , as of 2007
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian and archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 3, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|