Mathilde Kliefert-Gießen (born July 14, 1887 in Pries (near Kiel) , † January 15, 1978 in Stralsund ) was a German painter. In the transition from Impressionism to Expressionism, she mainly painted portraits and landscapes.
Gießen was born in Pries in 1887 and attended the Kiel painting school in Stoltenberg and Burmester from 1903. From 1906 she was taught at the Düsseldorf Art Academy by Adolf Schönnenbeck , among others , and went on study trips to Paris , Amsterdam , Haarlem , The Hague , Antwerp and Brussels .
In 1908 she passed her exams as a drawing teacher for high schools and went on further study trips that took her to Copenhagen and Berlin . In October 1908 she became an assistant at the Georg Burmesters painting school in Kiel. In 1910 she switched to the painting school of the Artists' Association in Munich , where she worked as a teacher. From 1911 Gießen worked as a freelance artist in Stralsund and as a drawing teacher at the Hansa School there. In 1923 Mathilde Gießen married the artist Erich Kliefert in Stralsund . The marriage had two children: Brigitte Köhler-Kliefert (1924–2001) and Martin Kliefert (1928–2016).
Mathilde Kliefert-Gießen died in Stralsund in 1978.
- 1960: Exhibition at the Kulturhistorisches Museum Stralsund
- 1977: Special exhibition in the Kulturhistorisches Museum Stralsund together with Elisabeth Büchsel
- 2000: Personal exhibition in the Schleswig-Holstein State Library, Kiel
- 2001: Personal exhibition in the cultural history museum of the Hanseatic city of Stralsund
- 2001: Personal exhibition in the gallery at Gendarmenmarkt Barthelmess & Wischnewski, Berlin
- 2012: Personal exhibition for the 125th birthday in the Koserower Kunstsalon, Koserow / Usedom
- Exhibition catalog at Barthelmess & Wischnewski, Berlin
- Literature by and about Mathilde Kliefert-Gießen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature about Mathilde Kliefert-Gießen in the state bibliography MV
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||to water|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 14, 1887|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Praised|
|DATE OF DEATH||15th January 1978|
|Place of death||Stralsund|