Media designer digital and print
Media designer for digital and print (Germany), media specialist (Austria) or polygraph (Switzerland) is an apprenticeship that includes various activities in prepress and the production of digital media .
He is the successor to traditional professions such as printing template manufacturer and printing form manufacturer (until 1994), typesetter , reprograph , music engraver , re- retoucher (1974 to 1995), repro photographer (1974 to 1995), or repro manufacturer (1994 to 1998). Until 1998, the profession of media designer specializing in printing in Germany was called “advertising and media template manufacturer”, until 2007 “media designer for digital and print media”.
As digitization progresses , these job profiles have been brought together and given specialist areas of focus.
Training in Germany
The three-year training includes a. Typography , desktop publishing , image processing , photography , web design , possibly also web engineering and was initially divided into the four disciplines “media consulting”, “ media design ”, “ media operating ” and “ media technology ”. Since 2007 the training has been restructured; accordingly there are only three subjects: “Consulting and Planning”, “Concept and Visualization” and “Design and Technology”, with no direct successor subject for “Media Technology” being offered. The specialization does not begin until the third year of training. With this restructuring, the media designer is again more focused on design, customer service and data handling, but less on printing technology .
The nationally standardized examination tasks for the intermediate and final examinations are prepared by the Central Technical Committee for Vocational Training in Printing and Media . The chambers of industry and commerce are responsible for carrying out the written and oral examination parts, while the practical examination pieces are largely prepared in the training company.
The training can take place both in-company and at school. The duration of the training can be shortened if the educational requirements are appropriate, for example if you have a technical college entrance qualification. However, this requires the approval of the training company and must be requested from the responsible Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Subjects of the media designer digital and print
The training of the media designer digital and print takes place in one third of the training time in three subjects.
Specializing in consulting and planning
Consulting and planning is the business-oriented area of the media designer. You conduct customer meetings and advise the customer. The projects are worked out and implemented in the group based on customer requirements. Budget, time frame and customer requirements must be taken into account.
Specializing in conception and visualization
Media designers digital and print specializing in conception and visualization develop concepts for media products such as magazines, advertising brochures or websites . To do this, they evaluate the briefing of the customer, derive the task from it, set the order goals and analyze the target groups. Then they design text, graphics, audio and video data for further processing suitable for the media: They design graphics, diagrams, illustrations and graphic symbols in order to achieve the best possible message and effect of the medium. If the customers are satisfied with the result, digital and print media designers in the field of conception and visualization check the design files for completeness and technical feasibility and create the designs. In doing so, they use media-compatible control procedures for quality assurance.
Specializing in design and technology
Digital and print media designers specializing in design and technology design media products and plan production processes. They combine media elements, prepare data for digital use and put them together for the respective purpose. You take digital photographs and process them further. During the training in the field of design and technology, a focus can be chosen: either digital or print. The tasks in this department include the design and programming of websites and mobile pages; as well as database maintenance and updating of the database. Dealing with content management systems and shop systems are also part of the training.
Media designers specializing in design and technology plan production processes independently and in a team, design elements for media products, adopt, transfer and convert data for multiple use, combine media elements, make them available for different media and output them on different media. You coordinate work results with the customers.
The core qualification of this subject is the preparation of media data, taking into account design and technical aspects for print or digital media products.
Training in Austria
The training content largely corresponds to that in Germany. In Austria, too, there is a similar division of training into three subject areas, but with different names: market communication and advertising, media design and media technology. Separated from this, the company offers its own apprenticeship in prepress technology , which is more associated with classic printing.
Austrian apprentices are also trained for three and a half years in the dual training system at vocational schools and in training companies. In this way they acquire theoretical and practical knowledge and skills, which they use to take the final apprenticeship examination at the end of their training . The related apprenticeship, prepress technology, can be completed with a shortened apprenticeship time, like the other two subjects.
Numerous subject-specific advanced training courses are available to choose from. Independent professional practice is possible for media professionals, among other things, in the regulated trade of printer and printing form manufacture or in the independent trade in advertising agencies or media design. For higher qualifications at colleges, technical colleges and universities, you usually need the vocational diploma (vocational matriculation examination), which is made up of the final apprenticeship examination and four other exams.
Training in Switzerland
Labor market situation in Germany
Due to a temporary boom in the field of new information technologies, an increased demand for this and other professions, such as programmers, was forecast, which, however, was initially not met by later reality. The triple accessibility created an oversupply of media designers, so that the unemployment rate below this was at times over 20%. The Federal Employment Agency reacted to this, hardly undertook any further training and severely restricted the possibility of further training. In recent years, however, career prospects in the field of technical media design have continuously improved. The unemployment rate fell from 12.5% in 2013 to 9.0% in 2017 and is thus well below the industry average of 11.2% in 2017.
- Media designer for digital and print specializing in ...
- Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training : Ordinance on Vocational Training for Digital and Print Media Designers and Digital and Print Media Designers of April 26, 2013 (PDF; 191 kB), Federal Law Gazette 2013, Part I No. 23, published in Bonn on May 14, 2013.
- Central technical committee for vocational training in print and media : Media designers digital and print: New training ordinance from 2013
- Austrian Chamber of Commerce : Information for trainers and apprentices on the apprenticeship media specialist - media technology
- description for the apprenticeship: Print template manufacturer.
- description for the apprenticeship: printing form manufacturer.
- job of the print template manufacturer specializing in re-retouching. ( Memento of the original from May 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 118 kB) Appointed by the Federal Employment Agency.
- of the printer's copy manufacturer specializing in repro photography. ( Memento of the original from November 19, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 118 kB) Appointed by the Federal Employment Agency.
- Job description of the reproduction manufacturer specializing in reproduction technology. ( Memento of the original from May 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 121 kB) Appointed by the Federal Employment Agency.
- gesetze-im-internet.de: Training Ordinance and General Training Plan Germany. ( Memento of the original from October 29, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 143 kB) Valid since May 2, 2007
- See the "Ordinance on Vocational Training for Digital and Print Media Designers and Digital and Print Media Designers" of April 26, 2013 under web links
- Structure of the final examination. In: ZFA. Retrieved July 24, 2019 .
- Aubi-plus: Media designer for digital and print, specializing in conception and visualization.
- Media designer, design and technology.
- BR : Photo expert, draftsman and computer nerd.
- Training the Austrian Ministry of Economic Affairs ( Memento of the original from July 10, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 134 kB), valid since April 1, 2006.
- Institute for educational research in the economy, career information computer: media specialist - media design (teaching occupation).
- Professions in the mirror of statistics. Institute for Employment Research (IAB), 2018, accessed on July 24, 2019 . For women in the technical media design profession (BG232), the unemployment rate fell from 10.7% to 7.5% between 2013 and 2017. The BHG23 (paper and printing professions, technical operating design) was used for the industry comparison.