Pope visits to Switzerland and Liechtenstein
There have been six official papal visits to Switzerland and Liechtenstein so far.
In 1982 John Paul II traveled to the Geneva headquarters of the UN for one day . In 1984 he made a pastoral visit to Switzerland for several days. The Principality of Liechtenstein followed in the following year . In 2004 the Pope made a pastoral visit on the occasion of the national youth meeting in Bern .
Francis' visit to Geneva in June 2018 was again for the World Council of Churches, on the 70th anniversary of its foundation.
Pope Benedict XVI stayed in June 2006 on Swiss soil on when he on the Great St. Bernard breeding station of Saint Bernard dogs attended. This private stay during the holidays in the Aosta Valley was not of an official nature.
|Year / date||Pope||places|
|June 10, 1969||Paul VI||Geneva|
|June 15, 1982||John Paul II||Geneva|
|June 12-17, 1984||John Paul II||Zurich-Kloten , Lugano , Friborg , Geneva, Bern, Einsiedeln , Lucerne , Sachseln , Sion|
|September 8, 1985||John Paul II||Zurich-Kloten, Eschen , Mauren , Schaan , Vaduz|
|June 5-6, 2004||John Paul II||Bern|
|June 21, 2018||Francis||Geneva|
- Foreign trips of Pope John Paul II
- Foreign trips by Pope Francis
- Pope visits to Germany
- Pope visits to Austria
- State visit : Pastoral visits by the Pope are usually treated as a state visit in diplomatic protocol.
- Louis Bosshart : The Pope's visits to Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein - two major media events , Freiburg 1987.
- Pope Francis in Switzerland on kath.ch of the Catholic Media Center on behalf of the Roman Catholic Church in Switzerland
- The Popes and Switzerland , SRG SSR timeline