Peter Florens Weddigen
Peter Florens Weddigen (born June 18, 1758 in Bielefeld , † September 11, 1809 in Kleinenbremen ) was a German publicist. He published mainly on topics related to Westphalian history and edited various mostly short-lived periodicals. He has also emerged as a poet of sacred songs.
He was the son of a linen merchant and attended high school in Bielefeld. He then studied Protestant theology , history and philosophy in Halle an der Saale . He received his doctorate as Dr. phil. From 1778 to 1781 he was a teacher at the orphanage in Halle, after which he was sub-principal at the high school in Bielefeld. From 1793 he worked as a preacher in Buchholz near Minden and from 1797 in Kleinenbremen. He was married to Charlotte Stohlmann, who supported him in his journalistic projects. He died by suicide.
He has published on the history, way of life and culture of Westphalia. He has turned against the widespread superstition several times. For example, he published the historical-geographic-statistical description of the county of Ravensberg in Westphalia (2 vols., Leipzig, 1790). In addition, he published various mostly short-lived magazines and calendars. Among them was the Westphalian magazine on geography, history and statistics. This was a collection of material on Westphalian history. Significant and unimportant things stood side by side. Initially, the magazine had 900 subscribers. The approval soon waned, so that Weddigen had to give up this project after a few years. His handbook of the historical-geographical literature of Westphalia had set out to compile an overview of the entire source material for research into Westphalian history.
Most of his projects had little success. His calendars achieved higher editions. Nevertheless, it had a certain importance for the development of a reading culture in Westphalia. As an editor and publisher, Weddigen was in contact with the most important Westphalian authors of the time. For him enrolled among others Justus Moser , Karl Arnold Kortum , Anton Friedrich Büsching , Johann Moritz Schwager and Johann Gottfried Christian nun .
He has also written sacred songs. These showed a considerable success. His spiritual odes and songs first appeared in 1801 and had several editions by 1879. Even the Prussian royal couple sent him two personal letters about this in 1798. His songs have been included in various regional hymn books.
A street in Dortmund is named after him.
- (Ed.): Westphalian magazine on geography, history and statistics . 1784–1788 digital copies
- Historical-geographic-statistical description of the county of Ravensberg in Westphalia (2 vols., Leipzig, 1790) digitized vol. 1 & digitized vol. 2
- (Ed.): New Westphalian magazine on geography, history and statistics . 1789–1794 digital copies
- (Ed.): Fragments on the life of Count von Herzberg. Bremen, 1796 digitized
- (Ed.) Johann Diederich von Steinen continued Westphaelic history. - Paderborn history. After Schaten's Annalen , Part 5, Lemgo 1801 (1st and 2nd department) and 1804 (3rd department) digitized . Continuation of Johann Diederich von Steinen's work Westphalian History based on Nicolaus Schatens Annales Paderbornenses
- Spiritual odes and songs. Leipzig, 1801 digitized
- Handbook of the historical-geographical literature of Westphalia. Vol. 1. Dortmund, 1801 digitized
- Historical-geographic-statistical contributions to the closer knowledge of Westphalia . Elberfeld, 1806 digitized volume 1 & digitized volume 2
- Reading book Peter Florens Weddigen. Compiled by Walter Gödden and Frank Stückemann. Aisthesis, Bielefeld 2018, ISBN 978-3-8498-1268-3 (Nylands Kleine Westfälische Bibliothek 70).
- Literature by and about Peter Florens Weddigen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Peter Florens Weddigen in the German Digital Library
- Peter Florens Weddigen in the Lexicon of Westphalian Authors
- Westphalia literature portal
- Lectures Mindener Geschichtsverein 2008 ( Memento from December 14, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
|SURNAME||Weddigen, Peter Florens|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German publicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 18, 1758|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bielefeld|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 11, 1809|
|Place of death||Small brakes|