Palatinate State Library Speyer
|Palatinate State Library Speyer|
Entrance to the state library
|Library type||Regional library|
The Palatinate State Library (PLB) based in Speyer is a scientific universal library , u. a. with a focus on “Palatinate history and regional studies”. The facility is under the supervision of the Ministry of Education, Science, Further Education and Culture of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate .
The PLB was not founded as a Bavarian district institution until 1921 , but was able to build up an extensive regional history collection on Palatinate literature early on by acquiring private libraries. Before that, the historical library of the grammar school at Kaiserdom Speyer was the most important library in the Palatinate (Bavaria) . After the Second World War, the Palatinate State Library was sponsored by the Palatinate District Association as the legal successor to the Bavarian District Council. In 1947 she was given the right to deposit copies for the then administrative district of Palatinate . In 1974, the state of Rhineland-Palatinate took over the Palatinate State Library. On September 1, 2004, the PLB merged with the Rheinische Landesbibliothek Koblenz , the Bibliotheca Bipontina Zweibrücken , the Büchereistelle Koblenz , (formerly: Landesbüchereistelle Rheinland-Pfalz Koblenz ) and the Büchereistelle Neustadt (formerly: Staatliche Büchereistelle Rheinhessen-Pfalz Neustadt an der Weinstrasse ) to State Library Center Rhineland-Palatinate . Since 1990 the PLB has been housed in a double building with the Speyer State Archives .
- approx. 1,000,000 volumes of scientific literature
- approx. 4,000 current journals
- approx. 4,000 music manuscripts
- approx. 110,000 printed notes
- approx. 12,000 records
- over 650 films (videos, DVDs)
- approx. 700 medieval and modern book manuscripts (the oldest testimony dates from the early 9th century)
- approx. 9,000 autographs
- approx. 100 estates of important personalities from literature, art, science and politics
- 150 incunabula with a focus on Speyer officials
- a collection of bookplates comprising approx. 4,000 items
- the collection of around 9,000 cards and around 1,000 single-sheet prints
- The Palatinate State Library 1921–1971 . Palatinate State Library, Speyer 1971:
- Karsten Ruppert: The Palatinate State Library from the end of the Second World War to the transition to the state of Rhineland-Palatinate . Palatinate State Library, Speyer 1995, ISBN 3-926459-00-X .