Pierre Eyt studied in Bayonne , Toulouse and Rome trays Catholic theology and philosophy . On June 29, 1961, he received the sacrament of ordination for the diocese of Bayonne . From 1961 to 1963 he worked as a pastor in Bayonne. From 1963 to 1966 he did research at the Vatican Library and studied at the Pontifical Gregorian University , where he received his doctorate in theology in 1967 . He then taught at the Catholic Institute of Toulouse , whose Vice-Rector he became in 1972 and which he headed from 1975 to 1981 as Rector. On July 16, 1976, Pope Paul VI awarded him . the title of Honorary Prelate to His Holiness . From 1981 he was rector of the Institut Catholique de Paris and in 1982 he became president of the Association of Catholic University Institutes in France. In 1984 he founded a center for Jewish studies in Jerusalem .
On June 7, 1986 Pope appointed him John Paul II. To Koadjutorerzbischof of Bordeaux. The Archbishop of Bordeaux, Marius Maziers , ordained him episcopal on September 28 of the same year in the Cathedral of Bordeaux . Co - consecrators were Jean-Marie Cardinal Lustiger , Archbishop of Paris , and André Collini , Archbishop of Toulouse . With the resignation of Marius Mazier on May 31, 1989, he succeeded him as Archbishop of Bordeaux.
He died on June 11, 2001 in Bordeaux and was buried in the cemetery of his birthplace Laruns.
- Alexander Jore: Épiscopologe Français de 1592 à 1973. Mis à jour et continué jusqu'en 2004. Complément de l'article “France” du Dictionnaire d'Histoire et de Géographie Ecclésiastiques, XVIII.
- Eyt, Pierre. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed May 1, 2017.
- Entry on Pierre Étienne Louis Eyt on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on May 1, 2017.
- Biography of the press office on the Vatican website
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 1982 , Città del Vaticano 1982, p. 1778.
Archbishop of Bordeaux
|Jean-Pierre Cardinal Ricard|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Eyt, Pierre Étienne Louis (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French clergyman, Archbishop of Bordeaux and Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 4, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Laruns , France|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 11, 2001|
|Place of death||Bordeaux|