Jacobs studied philology at the University of Ghent and at the same time took singing lessons from Louis Devos and Alfred Deller . Before he turned entirely to music, he taught Latin and Greek for three years. In 1977 he founded the vocal ensemble Concerto Vocale Gent . He then worked several times as a conductor at the Innsbruck Festival of Early Music .
Jacobs is known as a specialist in historical performance practice of early music and Baroque operas . He works with well-known orchestras and ensembles such as the Concerto Köln , the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin , the B'Rock Orchestra, the Nederlands Kamerkoor , the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and the RIAS Chamber Choir .
Jacobs has been conducting at the Center de musique baroque de Versailles since 1988 . He also taught at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis . From 1997 to 2009 he was artistic director of the Innsbruck Festival of Early Music.
As a conductor, he completed the instrumental parts and the ornamentation of the vocal parts in several baroque operas. There are numerous recordings under his direction on CDs and DVDs. Among other things, he received the Classical Grammy Award 2005 for the best opera recording with Mozart's Marriage of Figaro . His contribution to Telemann's international reception was honored with the Georg Philipp Telemann Prize in 2008 . He recorded Ludwig van Beethoven's opera Leonore in the original version with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and the Zurich Sing-Akademie . On the recording, according to Eleonore Büning , Jacobs was “the fastest Beethoven opera conductor in the history of phonograms”.
- Nicolas Blanmont : Prima la musica, prime le parole. Versant Sud, Louvain-la-neuve 2009. ISBN 978-2-930358-42-0 (biography).
- René Jacobs in conversation with Silke Leopold : I want to tell music in a new way. Bärenreiter Henschel, Kassel 2013. ISBN 978-3-89487-910-5 .
- Works by and about René Jacobs in the catalog of the German National Library
- René Jacobs at Harmonia Mundi
- René Jacobs at Bach Cantatas (English)
- A Brief History of the Innsbruck Festival Weeks , accessed: July 11, 2013
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Belgian conductor and singer (countertenor)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 30, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ghent|