The Concerto Köln was founded in 1985 by students at the Cologne University of Music . Werner Ehrhardt (violin) was artistic director of the ensemble until 2005 , the flutist Martin Sandhoff until 2016 and the bassoonist Lorenzo Alpert from 2016 until 2018 . The cellist Alexander Scherf currently performs this function . In addition to performances and recordings of well-known repertoire, Concerto Köln is particularly dedicated to the rediscovery of forgotten or rarely performed composers, such as B. Joseph Martin Kraus , Henri-Joseph Rigel , François-Joseph Gossec , Francesco Durante , Josef Mysliveček or John Field .
In the course of his career, Concerto Köln has worked with numerous musicians and ensembles, including Cecilia Bartoli , Vivicagenaux, Waltraud Meier , Natalie Dessay, Philippe Jaroussky , Christoph Prégardien , Andreas Scholl , Ulrich Tukur, Harald Schmidt and Bruno Ganz. Ensembles such as the choirs of WDR, NDR and BR, the Thomanerchor , the Regensburger Domspatzen , Sarband , the Balthasar Neumann Ensembles , the Collegium Vocale Gent and the RIAS Chamber Choir are often partners of the orchestra. The ranks of guest conductors range from Ivor Bolton to Daniel Harding and Peter Dijkstra .
For several years now, Concerto Köln has devoted itself more and more to the promotion of young talent, especially in the form of free school concerts in its rehearsal room. In addition, Concerto Köln has taken on sponsorships for the baroque orchestra of the Rheinische Musikschule Köln (conductor: Miche Erauw) and for the Michael-Ende-Schule in Cologne-Ehrenfeld.
Since 2005, Concerto Köln's office and rehearsal room have been located in the Ehrenfeld district of Cologne .
Concerto Köln have received major national and international prizes, including the Grammy Award , the German Record Critics ' Award , the ECHO Klassik (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013), the Midem Classical Award and the German Critics' Award as well as the Choc du Monde de la Musique , the Diapason d'Année and the Diapason d´Or .
Concerto Köln has released more than 50 CDs so far.
- 2012: Leonardo Vinci : Artaserse , conductor: Diego Fasolis . Virgin Records .
- 2010: Johann Sebastian Bach : The Orchestral Suites . Berlin Classics.
- 2010: Georg Friedrich Händel : Israel in Egypt. Head of Peter Dijkstra, BR-Klassik.
- 2009: Henri-Joseph Rigel : Symphonies. Edel Records
- 2008: Christoph Martin Wieland / Anton Schweitzer : Alceste. Head of Michael Hofstetter . Berlin Classics.
- 2007: Airs d'Operas Italy. (Verdi, Bellini, Donizetti) conducted by Evelino Pidò , Natalie Dessay (soprano). Virgin Classics.
- 2007: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : MOZART. DGG.
- 2004: Johann Wilhelm Wilms : Symphonies Nos. 6 & 7th DGG. Echo Classic 2005
- 2004: WA Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro . Head of René Jacobs . Grammy Award 2005
- 2003: Dream of the Orient. With Ensemble Sarband . Echo Classic 2003
- 1999: John Field : Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 . With Andreas Staier . Teldec.
- 1998: Carl Heinrich Graun : Cleopatra & Cesare . Head of René Jacobs. Harmonia Mundi France.
- 1994: Gaetano Brunetti : Symphonies . Capriccio.
- 1992: Francesco Durante : Concerti . Gerald Hambitzer (harpsichord). Capriccio.
- 1991: Georg Friedrich Händel: Giulio Cesare . Head of René Jacobs. Harmonia Mundi France.
- 1990: Johann Sebastian Bach: Auf blaring tones (BWV 207a), Schleicht, playing waves (BWV 206). With Kammerchor Stuttgart, headed by Frieder Bernius .
- 1987: Christoph Willibald Gluck : Echo et Narcisse . Head of René Jacobs. Harmonia Mundi France.
- 1987: Six Concerti Venetiens. ( Antonio Vivaldi , Giovanni Battista Sammartini , Pietro Antonio Locatelli ). Christian Mendoze, flute. Capriccio.
- echoklassik.de - Prize Winner 2013 ( Memento of the original from June 17, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved October 8, 2013